hex key size for Kanstul

bassboneman69

hex key size for Kanstul

Post by bassboneman69 »

Hello all,

Anyone know what size the hex key/allen wrench is for the adjusting screws for the f-attachment paddle on 1670/1661?
I am assuming it is metric...

Sam
Burgerbob

Re: hex key size for Kanstul

Post by Burgerbob »

I'm sure there are more out there, but I only ever use 3/32" and 2mm hex keys.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I recommend that you get a complete set of Allen wrenches in inch fractions and metric. I think both sets together would be less than $20. That’s a very reasonable price for a set of tools that you could potentially use on an assortment of things around the house.

Just remember to put each tool back in its correct holder after every use. Otherwise, you might be buying an entire set again!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Looks like 1/16" for the paddle on my Kanstul 1570.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:58 pm I recommend that you get a complete set of Allen wrenches in inch fractions and metric. I think both sets together would be less than $20. That’s a very reasonable price for a set of tools that you could potentially use on an assortment of things around the house.

Just remember to put each tool back in its correct holder after every use. Otherwise, you might be buying an entire set again!
Off topic: Really had to laugh at this. Feels like I am buying a new one every year plus owning a few of these bike tools that combine different types of tools. My kids just love to play with them and I am blaming them that always something is missing. And the one missing is always the one I need at that moment...
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:58 pm I recommend that you get a complete set of Allen wrenches in inch fractions and metric. I think both sets together would be less than $20. That’s a very reasonable price for a set of tools that you could potentially use on an assortment of things around the house.

I, personally, prefer to own roughly 37 complete sets that are all missing the same 2 or 3 wrenches.

At least, that is what I would have to assume if I were to audit the contents of my tool storage locations.

Cheers,
Andy
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

elmsandr wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:43 am

I, personally, prefer to own roughly 37 complete sets that are all missing the same 2 or 3 wrenches.

At least, that is what I would have to assume if I were to audit the contents of my tool storage locations.

Cheers,
Andy
Exactly! I think I went through at least a dozen sets before I realized that taking 5 seconds to put it back in the holder would save me time and frustration in the future.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
bassboneman69

Post by bassboneman69 »

Tbonesullivan 1/16 worked!
Thanks a bunch
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

bassboneman69 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:48 pm Tbonesullivan 1/16 worked!
Thanks a bunch
No problem! 1.5mm was just a bit too small. 2mm was too big, as was 5/64".
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

bassboneman69 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:50 am Hello all,

Anyone know what size the hex key/allen wrench is for the adjusting screws for the f-attachment paddle on 1670/1661?
I am assuming it is metric...

Sam
Why would you assume it's metric?
W1XO

Post by W1XO »

For folks in the US, you can buy individual hex keys cheap from McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com). That way you can restore all those sets missing one or two pieces back to their original glory.

Ted
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

elmsandr wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:43 am

Cheers,
Andy
I've discovered that hex key sets are always missing the same 2 or 3 wrenches because hex head screws actually only come in 2 or 3 sizes. The remaining sizes are decoys to keep you hunting for the right Allen wrench...

Return to “Maintenance”