Early Trombone Lit

ttf_wkimball

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_wkimball »

What do you call more than 450 early trombone works? A start.
http://kimballtrombone.com/early-trombone-literature-pre-1800/
ttf_wkimball

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_wkimball »

Eventually I'll divide up that last category (Various Other Ensembles, Pre-1800). It's a catch-all right now!
http://kimballtrombone.com/early-trombone-literature-pre-1800/trombone-various-ensembles-pre-1800/
ttf_anonymous

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Wow.
MJL
ttf_Bcschipper

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_Bcschipper »

These lists are very nice public goods. Thank you very much.
ttf_sfboner

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_sfboner »

Hi William -

Some years back i played La Hieronyma in a concert and in talking about the piece mentioned that it was the earliest solo work specifying trombone.  A gentleman in the audience came up to me after and corrected me, saying there existed one earlier.  Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me remember what work he said preceded it.  Perhaps it's something that's come to light more recently that the source you cited?  Or perhaps this guy was wrong.  Anyway, I thought I'd toss that out there.
ttf_wkimball

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_wkimball »

Thanks for your comment. It kind of gets into semantics, but he could have been referring to this one (which is also on the list)--
1620—Milan, Italy: An improvisational treatise by Francesco Rognoni (also called Francesco Rognoni Taeggio), Selva di varii passaggi, includes a setting of Orlando di Lasso’s song, Susanne un jour. Marked “Modo di passegiar il violone over trombone alla bastarda,” it features rapid technical passages to be played on either violone or trombone (Baines, Brass 114; Guion, Short History; Herbert, Trombone 87).
ttf_boneagain

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_boneagain »

I'm with La Fratta on this: WOW!
ttf_wkimball

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_wkimball »

Thanks!
ttf_anonymous

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Your site is most impressive. Thanks for all of your hard work.
ttf_wkimball

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_wkimball »

Thanks! I've just added many more. There are now more than 600 pieces listed. Plenty to play!
ttf_wkimball

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_wkimball »

Update: I just added about a dozen more embedded videos/recordings, bringing the total recordings to just under 200. There are too many really nice ones to mention, but highlights include Adam Woolf playing Divisions on Palestrina’s Pulchra es, Michael Mulcahy playing Leopold Mozart with the Chicago Symphony, the ensemble "Sacabuche" playing several "trombone motets," and some beautiful Monteverdi and Gabrieli recordings by the "Green Mountain" project.
ttf_wkimball

Early Trombone Lit

Post by ttf_wkimball »

Update: I just added about a dozen more embedded videos/recordings, bringing the total recordings to just under 200. There are too many really nice ones to mention, but highlights include Adam Woolf playing Divisions on Palestrina’s Pulchra es, Michael Mulcahy playing Leopold Mozart with the Chicago Symphony, the ensemble "Sacabuche" playing several "trombone motets," and some beautiful Monteverdi and Gabrieli recordings by the "Green Mountain" project.

Return to “History of the Trombone”