How to donate a concerto for Trombone and Orchestra to public domain

marktrombone

How to donate a concerto for Trombone and Orchestra to public domain

Post by marktrombone »

Hi, my father in law wrote a tremendously cool concerto for trombone and orchestra a few years ago. We have a cd of the orchestra debut done at the Orquesta sinfónica de Xalapa OSX, Veracruz, Mexico, and the full orchestral score.
I’d love to help him give this piece to some library that could enjoy and share it! How do I go about either copyrighting or public domain sharing this? He has given it to me and is getting on in age so not able to do much about it.
It is a heavy orchestral work. So I know someone will enjoy it. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Mark
Re: the Trombone Concerto by Eugenio Sleziak-Kandora
BGuttman

Re: How to donate a concerto for Trombone and Orchestra to public domain

Post by BGuttman »

There are a number of ways to share this work with the community.

I assume that your father-in-law is not interested in royalties. He can claim copyright (means nobody can make unauthorized changes) simply by noting on the sheet music "(c) copyright owner" You don't have to copyright the music, but then you have no control over how it gets performed.

You can get wide distribution by sending it to IMSLP where it will be posted for all to see. IMSLP tries to collect royalty-free material for distribution. Go to www.IMSLP.org and see how you can arrange to upload a collection of PDF's.

Some universities might be willing to add it to their collection with the ability to lend. You'd probably have best chance going through one of the trombone prof's. We have Gabe Rice and William Lang (among others) here on the Forum who might be able to help.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Should be a relatively simple matter of attaching a Creative Commons license that fits your intent, and putting it on IMSLP, or a personal website.

Digital is probably best, since printing costs money and no one would then in turn give it away for free as PD.
andym

Post by andym »

I agree with IMSLP as being a good way to make it available for a long time and making it easy to find. If they can’t include the recording then you could also have a website with the score and recording acting as advertising to build awareness.

I look forward to hearing it.
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”