Greetings from Bel Air, MD

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
OldWetOneCanoli

Greetings from Bel Air, MD

Post by OldWetOneCanoli »

In June this year I got back into playing trombone after taking about 40 years off. I had played 7th grade through 4 years at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I was on a trombone scholarship at UW playing in the symphony and symphonic band, but pretty much stopped playing altogether when I went to grad school for chemistry. I have spent the last 30+ years singing in my church choir, and earlier this year I was asked to join a regional chorale. When I knew I was joining the chorale, I really started wondering why I wasn’t playing trombone. After practicing a month or two, I decided to take lessons again and started up with Nick Mazziott in Baltimore. During my school and college days, I had taken lessons for about 8 years with Thomas Dvorak (McFarland, WI), Joyce Messer (Madison, WI), and Bill Richardson (UW-Madison School of Music). At the end of my first lesson with Nick, he told me I need to be playing in a band. I am wait-listed for the local community band and have also been playing for about 3 months with the Ain’t Misbehavin’ Big Band that plays around Baltimore County and Harford County. I had never played jazz before, so this is a challenging new experience.

I play mostly a 42B, but also have an 88H I use around 20% of the time. I found a lot of threads on the TromboneChat forum when I was looking up information regarding medium bore Bach trombones, and found a lot of useful information here. So, hello everyone!
Bonearzt

Re: Greetings from Bel Air, MD

Post by Bonearzt »

Hey OWOC!
Welcome back to the Dark Side!!

Happy Holidays!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Conn100HGuy

Post by Conn100HGuy »

Greetings from just up the road in York, PA. May your journey back into trombone land be as pleasant as mine!
Onward and Upward
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

CCBC used to have a pretty good big band, and they were always hurting for players. Might be worth looking up.
Conn100HGuy

Post by Conn100HGuy »

Jimkinkella wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:12 pm CCBC used to have a pretty good big band, and they were always hurting for players. Might be worth looking up.
I think you're talking about Powerhouse. Terrific band.
Onward and Upward
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

Conn100HGuy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:37 pm
Jimkinkella wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:12 pm CCBC used to have a pretty good big band, and they were always hurting for players. Might be worth looking up.
I think you're talking about Powerhouse. Terrific band.
Yup, I played with them for a number of years when I lived in town, still have a few friends in the band.

Return to “News & Announcements”