Beer while practicing

ttf_PosauneFreak

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_PosauneFreak »

Hello forum,

I'm ​in quite the pickle. I want to go downstairs to my basement and practice, but I also really want a beer.

Is there any physical harm done to the instrument if I drink while practicing? I stay careful to avoid playing without rinsing my mouth out and I only ever drink coffee, tea, or water while practicing. I don't want to ruin me Shires.

Thanks and cheers,

Elliot
ttf_baroquetrombone

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_baroquetrombone »

I'm pretty sure that if beer killed trombones, there would be none left that were made before 2005.
ttf_timothy42b

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Actually it can improve your results.

When you play continuously you wear out your chops.  Taking that break every few bars for a small sip is a great way to rest enough to keep making progress.

Of course, it's possible to over do..........................

I know people who drink at performances.  I would never do that.  In home practice though, in moderation, probably doesn't hurt.  Don't forget it's calories, lots of them, and they're the type that can pack on weight.  If you're spending hours in the practice room, they aren't at the gym, you're going to want to watch that. 
ttf_PosauneFreak

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_PosauneFreak »

Tim I appreciate your response; however I was asking more along the lines of whether blowing the sweet nectar through the horn could do any actual damage to the horns, similar to red rot and sugary stuff.

Thanks again,

Elliot
ttf_Burgerbob

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Just clean out your slide more often.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: PosauneFreak on Mar 24, 2017, 03:51PMTim I appreciate your response; however I was asking more along the lines of whether blowing the sweet nectar through the horn could do any actual damage to the horns, similar to red rot and sugary stuff.

Thanks again,

Elliot
Well on this forum you might only want one answer but you'll receive many.
ttf_SilverBone

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

The more you drink, the better you sound.   Image
ttf_Nanook

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Quote from: baroquetrombone on Mar 24, 2017, 03:00PMI'm pretty sure that if beer killed trombones, there would be none left that were made before 2005.

That gave me a hardy chuckle.... Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Obligatory for Dixieland practice and gigs! Image
ttf_robcat2075

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I'm going to venture that beer is as good or bad as a carbonated beverage in a trombone but perhaps without the sugar.

Perhaps our resident chemistry expert should weigh in.
ttf_BGuttman

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Mar 24, 2017, 10:03PM...
Perhaps our resident chemistry expert should weigh in.

Biggest problem with beer is that any residues you create inside the trombone are a great medium for organic stuff (read bacteria) to grow in.  A regular cleaning (you can do it yourself in a bathtub with some dish detergent) can keep the growth to a minimum.  Drinking too much beer can have some bad consequences, though.  I'd doubt that drinking ONE cool one while practicing will do much harm.
ttf_BillO

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_BillO »

I have had a glass or two of wine during practice ... from time to time.  It has never seemed to cause any real problems with my horns.  They do seem to get a bit more rambunctious though.  Image
ttf_tbathras

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I have a little informal quartet.  We meet about once a month.  Goal number one is to drink some good beer. Goal number two is play.  My horn seems no worse for wear.  However, I wash my slide out about once a month with water and a snake.
ttf_timothy42b

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: PosauneFreak on Mar 24, 2017, 03:51PMTim I appreciate your response; however I was asking more along the lines of whether blowing the sweet nectar through the horn could do any actual damage to the horns, similar to red rot and sugary stuff.

Thanks again,

Elliot

Moisture is the enemy of brass.  Dry, I think it would last for ever.  It doesn't precipitation harden, so work hardening is the only possibility, and that is an energetically unfavorable state.  I think it will self relax eventually, probably on the order of about 10,000 years.

Moist, some galvanic corrosion is inevitable.

But it is impossible to play without moist air, so there's no way out.

Beer doesn't add any more moisture.  It may add some organics as Bruce said, and those deposits can also cause areas of varied electronegativity (might be the wrong term).  So a reasonably regular snake and swab is probably indicated.  I would do monthly. 

ttf_BassCase

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_BassCase »

When I have a difficult passage to work through, I have a beer or a glass of chardonnay sometimes.  I feel it relaxes me, relieves any tension I feel when ironing out difficult music.   
ttf_elmsandr

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: PosauneFreak on Mar 24, 2017, 02:45PMHello forum,

I'm ​in quite the pickle. I want to go downstairs to my basement and practice, but I also really want a beer.

Is there any physical harm done to the instrument if I drink while practicing? I stay careful to avoid playing without rinsing my mouth out and I only ever drink coffee, tea, or water while practicing. I don't want to ruin me Shires.

Thanks and cheers,

Elliot
The coffee is probably worse than the beer.

Keep the horn clean and you will be fine.

Myself, I prefer a nip of whisky.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_wgwbassbone

Beer while practicing

Quote from: tbathras on Mar 25, 2017, 03:56PMI have a little informal quartet.  We meet about once a month.  Goal number one is to drink some good beer. Goal number two is play.  My horn seems no worse for wear.  However, I wash my slide out about once a month with water and a snake.
Once a month? Once a week for me on the slide. Bell section once a month.
ttf_Radar

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Radar »

I play with a Fire Department band, all the bands meet at the carnival beer tent after the parade, and we take turns playing until late into the evening.  While the other bands are playing we're drinking.  There are a lot of horns out there at these events that have withstood this treatment for many years.  We've got a couple of fire department owned Sousaphones that were made in the 1940s that still sound and play great.  I do believe in routine cleaning of your horns, but having a cold one while practicing shouldn't do any harm to the horn, especially if you clean the horn on a regular basis.
ttf_tbathras

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Mar 27, 2017, 05:37AMOnce a month? Once a week for me on the slide. Bell section once a month.

I pull a softer snake with alcohol on it through once a week.  It's only once a month it makes it into the bath tub.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Beer while practicing

ttf_SilverBone

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: tbathras on Mar 27, 2017, 06:53AMI pull a softer snake with alcohol on it through once a week.  It's only once a month it makes it into the bath tub.

No need to add alcohol if there's already beer in the horn!
ttf_cmillar

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_cmillar »

You should always practice as if you're on a gig!

ttf_tbathras

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: SilverBone on Mar 27, 2017, 04:34PMNo need to add alcohol if there's already beer in the horn!

I use bourbon for that.  Gives the horn that nice oak barrel smell.  Image Image
ttf_Socal77

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Socal77 »

If you drink beer while playing, be aware that hops in beer are know to convert testosterone to estrogen. Try to play the manly, macho stuff before drinking beer, girlie stuff after.  Image
ttf_MrPillow

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Yes because girls are only capable of playing certain styles of music?  Image
ttf_Socal77

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Socal77 »

I was referring to the mindset (masculine/feminine) to play different styles of music. But if I offended you I am sincerely sorry. The reality is too much IPA is not good for a male's hormonal balance, assuming he still wants to identify as male.
ttf_Burgerbob

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: Socal77 on Apr 16, 2017, 03:07PM The reality is too much IPA is not good for a male's hormonal balance, assuming he still wants to identify as male.

What
ttf_Socal77

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Socal77 »

ttf_Socal77

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Socal77 »

ttf_Burgerbob

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Just a little googling...

http://beerandwinejournal.com/ipa-boobs/

Also, this quote?

Quotemaking men more feminine and even ‘bitchier’.
Come on.
ttf_watermailonman

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Of course you can drink and drive, but result will be thereafter. Same if you "honk" your horn. Maybe if you practice a lot you could perform in a way no one notice the difference . I mean practice your drinking skills to perfection  Image

As to the question I think the horn will look on beer and lemonade equally, a lot of suger in both. It needs cleaning that's all.

/Tom
ttf_Torobone

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Torobone »

We used to have beer at army band practices back in the 70s. One beer for the 1st half, then another for the second half. I still have my 42B, and there is no evidence of wear from beer or the occasional shot of something stronger.

My horns are made of brass, not iron or cardboard. Some people are OCD about any moisture, and that's their concern.

Now, far fewer people drink at the mess or at rehearsals. Times have changed.
ttf_timothy42b

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

On the other hand (and I've just learned this from another list member) pBones need to be put away dry, and with the stockings waxed.

Moisture corrodes the stockings.  Beer would make it worse.  I now swab mine after every use.

ttf_Blackthorne

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_Blackthorne »

Quote from: BassCase on Mar 26, 2017, 06:17PMWhen I have a difficult passage to work through, I have a beer or a glass of chardonnay sometimes.  I feel it relaxes me, relieves any tension I feel when ironing out difficult music.   

Whenever I do that, the music just gets blurry and hard to read.

Apparently, stopping at "a beer" is the secret.  Image
ttf_savio

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_savio »

Practice, yes. A beer, yes. But combination, no. Its no good for practice, its no good for enjoying a beer. All at the right time.

I shouldn't say to much, alcohol in music has changed a lot through the years. I have seen and experienced some of it, and I have done a lot of wrong choices in my life. Which I still regret ... Image Image

I'm glad to see the younger generation is more aware and make better choices.

To play well on any instrument, alcohol is out. Both in practice and performance.

Leif

ttf_BassCase

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_BassCase »

Quote from: Blackthorne on Apr 27, 2017, 01:55PMWhenever I do that, the music just gets blurry and hard to read.

Apparently, stopping at "a beer" is the secret.  Image
I gotta say that a single beer or glass of Chardonnay won't affect many peoples' vision, or ability to concentrate.  Everyone has their own limit.  Mine may be different than yours, and most likely it is.  I'm just saying, for me it's fine.  I don't imbibe with every practice.  I rarely do.  Just sometimes. And just one helping! Image Cheers!     
ttf_BillO

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Socal77 on Apr 17, 2017, 07:22PMSorry to be the bearer of bad news.

http://thegreentribe.com/2014/06/oestrogen-effect-beer/
That's just one reason I don't drink beer anymore (except the odd Guinness).  Anyway, what's the diff?  As long as you are happy where to end up, do what it takes to get you there.  Image  No?
ttf_BillO

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_BillO »

Every day I practice some exercise on one of my trombones. And just about every day I play some music for fun while having a drink.  (Yeah, I do have a drink on most days).  The point is that practicing and drinking and playing need not be mutually exclusive in one's life.  I have yet to play a dance where I did not have a drink or two.  Concerts are another thing - no drink there, but when your audience is quaffing, there is no reason for you not to have a little libation.  Ergo, during some practices, it is incumbent on you to drink a little, as ... in and of itself, it is practice for the performance.

C'mon people ... lighten up!  there is no reason I can think of not to pick up a trombone after, or while, having a little drink or four.  You don't have to make a life of it.  Having said that, some do ... quite successfully.  However, that's a balance I'm not totally comfortable with trying myself.

Tonight I have had a bottle of wine and have played for hours on one of my trombones.   Image
ttf_svenlarsson

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

" Zoot how can you play so good when you are so pissed?"
"cause I pracise pissed"
ttf_cozzagiorgi

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_cozzagiorgi »

I can remember my first and unique participation to a jam session.

I have never been able to improvise or playing by ear, so participation in jam sessions was and still is not possible for me.

Now in this particular jam session I was far from sober... Can't even remember how I got into it and what we played. The saxophonist, who is a Professional jazz player called me some weeks later to ask me if I could sub in for a trombonist on a jazz gig. I answered I never really played much jazz and that I can't improvise.

His answer: "You must be kidding me! You improvised so incredibly well a few weeks ago, I thought you were a pro jazzer!"

Go figure...

Never been able again to improvise something without a lot of  preparation.
ttf_timothy42b

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I will have a beer in the privacy of my own practice room, but never in public.

There is no public transportation in this area, so if I'm playing a rehearsal or performance I've driven to it.  I don't drink and drive.  This is a cultural thing that has changed drastically for the better over my life - when I was young it seemed to be perfectly acceptable.  I am sure I could drive after one beer, but I don't. 

The second reason is that I don't have a cushion of skill to spare.  I need to be on top of my game, as well as do all the extras (be early, be sober, be easy to work with, etc.) 
ttf_timothy42b

Beer while practicing

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I will have a beer in the privacy of my own practice room, but never in public.

There is no public transportation in this area, so if I'm playing a rehearsal or performance I've driven to it.  I don't drink and drive.  This is a cultural thing that has changed drastically for the better over my life - when I was young it seemed to be perfectly acceptable.  I am sure I could drive after one beer, but I don't. 

The second reason is that I don't have a cushion of skill to spare.  I need to be on top of my game, as well as do all the extras (be early, be sober, be easy to work with, etc.) 

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”