Mutes for bass trumpet?

muschem

Mutes for bass trumpet?

Post by muschem »

I’m considering picking up either a bass trumpet or a flugabone for chop maintenance when I travel on business. I’ve read that the flugabones typically have a bell taper similar enough to a slide trombone that tenor mutes fit ok. Is the same true of bass trumpets, or is there a different mute size required there?
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
Kdanielsen

Re: Mutes for bass trumpet?

Post by Kdanielsen »

My bass trumpet, which has a more conical/flugelhorn looking bell than some, doesnt work with tenor or bass mutes. I think a tenor mute might work with drastically different corks, but I haven’t tried.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Mine fits tenor mutes pretty well, including practice mutes.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I've played on a Lidl piston bass trumpet with a fairly small bell. A fiber straight mute like you often see used in small bore trombones in dance bands works OK, but for a metal straight mute the Wick alto trombone mute was the best fit and worked great.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I have a four valve bass trumpet similar to https://www.schillerinstruments.com/tru ... of-bb-gold , but as I was told partly assembled and quality controlled in Germany.

Okay playing instrument, a little bigger in the throat than the ideal Wagner bass trumpet (Alexander/Thein). Fun to play and I also use it for travelling. Even practiced it in the car.

It fits a best brass bass trombone mute just fine. Obviously gets even more stuffy, but okay. Should also work for other bass trombone mutes, but I use this one because it doesn't influence the balance too much.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I use an Olds O-21 "marching trombone" for travel. It's probably the most compact instrument in its class (shorter than a bass trumpet, not as deep as a Flugabone-style horn), has a decently large bore (.515), a case built like a Sherman tank, and will take a standard tenor trombone mute.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I sold my Getzen Bass Trumpet a while ago, but when it was used for the Rite of Spring here a couple of times, I loaned my Wick Flugelhorn/Alto Trombone straight mute to the colleagues that played that part. It worked well. I don't remember if there are muted passages in the Korngold opera that I played on it. That Wick mute works really well in the Getzen and I would guess the Bach as well. Some German horns might have smaller or bigger bell throats.

Jim Scott
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

I have a Thein "new york" model in C and a Mount Vernon Bach Bb. Both are too small to work well with a standard tenor trombone mute but the Wick flugel/alto trombone straight mute fits perfectly.
rabiddolphin

Post by rabiddolphin »

The King 1130 is essentially just a King 3B bell in 8.5" as opposed to the normal 8" so all of my normal tenor mutes fit.

Return to “Accessories”