My shameful collection

Burgerbob

My shameful collection

Post by Burgerbob »

This is what happens when you switch brands a few times and keep forgetting what you have... This isn't even including what I have in my gig bag!

Also a couple cool things I've found in cases

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
HermanGerman

Re: My shameful collection

Post by HermanGerman »

That`s all?...amateur.. :-)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

You using ultrapure now?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:41 am You using ultrapure now?
For everything except slide, yes. I tried the slide stuff for a few months and it was just a little worse than Yamaha.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

No Wil-Werk? :evil:

I found UltraPure slide treatment works best as a "refresher" to stretch another treatment for a while until you have time for a full clean and relube. It has worked with everything I or my associates have tried it on, including Trombotine, Rapid Comfort, cold cream. Haven't tried it with slide oil, but I don't know of any serious player using Holton Slide Oil.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:10 am
harrisonreed wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:41 am You using ultrapure now?
For everything except slide, yes. I tried the slide stuff for a few months and it was just a little worse than Yamaha.
My experience too, despite the ineffable wonder of Alessi branding. Behaved like Yamaha, just not as well.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Yeah, I have a collection like that, though the only thing I double ordered is the Ultra Pure tuning slide grease.

I did have to dump some stuff, as Slide-O-Mix seems to have a shelf life, after which it pretty much becomes like water, and is pretty useless for slide lubrication.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

You have a problem. Admitting it is the first step to recovery.
You are on your way.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I think you may be some sort of wizard.

You’ve ended up with the same number of small and large slide-o-mix bottles. I know you should theoretically go through them at an equal rate but it never seems to practically work out like that. Even if I’ve been on track to use a pair of bottles equally, the small one always seems to get lost or borrowed by someone.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

MrHCinDE wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:51 pm I think you may be some sort of wizard.

You’ve ended up with the same number of small and large slide-o-mix bottles. I know you should theoretically go through them at an equal rate but it never seems to practically work out like that. Even if I’ve been on track to use a pair of bottles equally, the small one always seems to get lost or borrowed by someone.
Well, my picture lies a bit. This is after I threw away some amount of empty or nearly-empty large and small bottles. I think I may have tried to keep them even when I did that.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Burgerbob,

That’s nothing to be ashamed of. You will REALLY KNOW when you have a lubricant hoarding problem.

Several years back, I was doing repair work for a local music store. They equipped me with new bottles of valve oil to send out with the trumpets that were done. I thought it would be nice to save the partially used bottles of valve oil, consolidate the oil into full bottles and donate them to local band programs. I kept throwing the old bottles into a large bin that was back in a dark corner of my shop. Little did I know that about half of them were punctured or had leaky caps. I pulled the bin out one day and had to deal with 250+ bottles floating in 1 or 2 gallons of oil. Needless to say, I stopped trying to recycle old bottles of valve oil after that.

Trust me Aiden…..your situation is still under control. No need to call LHA (Lubricant Hoarders Anonymous). By the way……I’ll take some of the Slide-O-Mix for pennies on the dollar.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

I probably have just as many lubricants that I used at one time or other. My current horns all seem to like Yamaha lubricant, but I have to keep the slides very clean, or they will get a little sticky from buildup. For about ten years I used a product out of Germany, Reka Super Slide lubricant. You didn't need to use much to make a slide slick. It is a much more watery formulation with much less surface tension than the Yamaha (not "snotty"). It works very well, but I began to notice that the later lubricant that I purchased had an unpleasant odor, and I suspected that they had changed something in the product formula. In any event I ditched it.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I just switched to the ultra pure valve oil and love it. I'm coming from Hetman, and I just can't find that anywhere anymore. But seeing this collection I wonder how the UltraPure tuning slide grease is? How do you know if you need to you light/regular/heavy?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

JLivi wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:10 pm I just switched to the ultra pure valve oil and love it. I'm coming from Hetman, and I just can't find that anywhere anymore. But seeing this collection I wonder how the UltraPure tuning slide grease is? How do you know if you need to you light/regular/heavy?
I use heavy on everything.
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

ithinknot wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:50 am
Burgerbob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:10 am
My experience too, despite the ineffable wonder of Alessi branding. Behaved like Yamaha, just not as well.
This is turning into my experience. I can't seem to buy the Yamaha stuff anywhere so I switched to the Alessi slide stuff and haven't really been happy with it. it works for a little while and then just stops working.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

Someone else commented that I had rotor oil in my piston valve eupho case, and valve oil in my trombone case. I hadn't even noticed! Im guessing they were the 1 to switch them. Bottles now swapped over.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Elow

Post by Elow »

Is the all famous yamaha stuff a liquid or a cream? I use a yamaha cream and honestly i only started losing it after my trombotine disappeared. Of course i found it the day after i switched over, but i think i like the yamaha just a little bit more.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Pezza wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:09 am Someone else commented that I had rotor oil in my piston valve eupho case, and valve oil in my trombone case. I hadn't even noticed! I'm guessing they were the 1 to switch them. Bottles now swapped over.
I use 3 different oils for my rotary valve trombones:
• Valve oil (dripped down the bell receiver) for the valve body,
• Rotor oil (under the screw cap) for the spindle,
• Bearing & Linkage oil for the externals.

I think all three are essential.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I use a light sewing machine oil on my linkages.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Elow wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:40 pm Is the all famous yamaha stuff a liquid or a cream? I use a yamaha cream and honestly i only started losing it after my trombotine disappeared. Of course i found it the day after i switched over, but i think i like the yamaha just a little bit more.
Liquid. I don't have the patience for creams
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:51 pm This is what happens when you switch brands a few times and keep forgetting what you have... This isn't even including what I have in my gig bag!

Also a couple cool things I've found in cases

This just tells us you are a pro, nothing to be ashamed of

/Tom
RJWIL72

Post by RJWIL72 »

What, no one uses ponds cold cream for slide lube anymore?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

RJWIL72 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:21 pm What, no one uses ponds cold cream for slide lube anymore?
Something changed in Pond's somewhere in the 1970s and it suddenly stopped being as good a slide lube. I don't know if they went to some synthetic compounds instead of the originals or they changed the mixing process (the new stuff doesn't separate like the old). New Pond's sorta works but not as well as the old stuff. Supposedly Trombotine is like Old Pond's (but not quite, although it's a good slide lube)
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:04 pm
Pezza wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:09 am Someone else commented that I had rotor oil in my piston valve eupho case, and valve oil in my trombone case. I hadn't even noticed! I'm guessing they were the 1 to switch them. Bottles now swapped over.
I use 3 different oils for my rotary valve trombones:
• Valve oil (dripped down the bell receiver) for the valve body,
• Rotor oil (under the screw cap) for the spindle,
• Bearing & Linkage oil for the externals.

I think all three are essential.
I thought I was the only one that did that with 3 different types of oil........ :good:

I purchased an Edwards dual bore slide for my Bach 50 (Thanks Aidan for the recommendation :good: ) and noticed the tolerances are tighter than Bach and Rath slides where Yamaha snot reigned supreme. Recently someone here suggested a thin layer of superslick cream wiped off and then a few drops of yamaha snot and it works great.
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

RJWIL72 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:21 pm What, no one uses ponds cold cream for slide lube anymore?
I keep a small container in my car for just in case I forget my regular stuff.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Blue juice seems to work well in my rotors, especially after they've been ported. I tried ta use the ultra pure synthetic, it gave out after a day or 2 and dried out. Scared the devil out of me, thought my rotor seized up. New Slide-o-mix combined seems to work also. 🤔 I read slid-o-mix has a shelf life. True?
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
JKBone85

Post by JKBone85 »

Where's your Joe Juice?!

Return to “Maintenance”