Gard Bag owner question

TrryReynolds

Gard Bag owner question

Post by TrryReynolds »

For those who have owned Gard trombone bags- I just picked up a Bach lt42bofg, and I bought the Gard bass trombone bag to go with it. While it seems well built, I’m surprised at how tight of a fit the instrument is. I realize the foam padding is movable, and I’m wondering if you’ve had a similar experience, and if so, how did you make it work? Thanks for any thoughts…
BGuttman

Re: Gard Bag owner question

Post by BGuttman »

I have a Gard Bag for bass trombone. I don't have any movable foam inside (and that's with a King 7B bass trombone).

Since the padding is movable (and removable) you can take out some to leave space where you need it. Sometimes if you need to open a small area you can use a sharp knife or razor blade to cut openings in the foam.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TrryReynolds

Post by TrryReynolds »

Thanks Bruce; I like the bag and I’m glad to know some of that foam can be removed.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I have heard in multiple places now that the Gard cases don't fit as expected, including also the comment section at Thomann. I think one reason is that the case categorization seems to be misleading.

But their big selling proposition is those extra paddings (which I think would generally make sense...) which for many users doesn't fit.

I have a few times considered buying the Gard bag for small bores, maybe I just have to try it.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

I have two Gard bags (medium tenor trombone and euphonium). They are very tight fits, it is slightly difficult to get the instruments in/out. They do fit, and without removing any of the foam spacers. Given the intended design of the bags, I would strongly advise against removing the foam inserts; once you do it's just an inferior version of another gig bag.
lmalewic

Post by lmalewic »

I just returned the bass trombone Gard bag that I purchased. You really need to remove the inner foam for it to fit comfortably. If you do that there is no point in using the bag anyway. I’m actually talking with Gard and their factory about this issue. They responded and are going to let me know. The specific one I purchased was the 24-MSK. I’m not sure how the other bags like the elite series or the ones where the slide is on the outside fit. This case just barely fit my small bore Jazz horn. The large tenor and bass had to be squeezed in the foam inserts (and yes it was the correct case, I made sure). There is very little space inside, definitely too little for a bass. Maybe they will change something in the design, once they get back to me I’ll update the post. The other issue I had even with the small bore is that because of how difficult it is to even place the small horn bell section in. You have to remove the slide compartment. In order to do that you have to detach the Velcro from the inserts which is a loud process. You definitely don’t want that when you’re at a rehearsal. You should be able to place the horn in and out without any issues or noise. It just seems like a bad design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luke Malewicz
Yamaha Artist and Clinician
Freelance Trombonist/Educator in the Chicago Area
www.LowBrassLuke.com

Return to “Accessories”