Best Double Case for Tenor and Bass Trombone

slidefunk

Best Double Case for Tenor and Bass Trombone

Post by slidefunk »

I'm researching my options for a case that can hold both my horns and be reasonably expected to protect them through a gate check. Wondering what others have experienced with the different double bags that are out there? Little bit of background:

Shires .525 with a Dual Bore valve
Holton TR180 that's had the triggers split

I'm a professional that travels quite a bit and the case would be going through airports and traveling on an equipment truck. I always gate check when I fly, unless I'm lucky and there is room in the overhead storage. I understand the risks this presents. I usually travel my Shires in a Protec Propac and have yet to sustain any damage to the horn (knock on wood.) The case is well protected while traveling in an equipment trailer. The Holton was recently acquired, currently does not have a hard case and is not safe to fly with if needed.

I've been looking a lot at the Marcus Bonna option and it currently seems like the front-runner. I'd be really grateful to hear about anyone's real world experience with the Bonna cases before I drop $800. Frankly there don't seem to be a lot of options on the market right now, but I'd really rather travel with one bag rather that two. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks so much!

-Brian
Burgerbob

Re: Best Double Case for Tenor and Bass Trombone

Post by Burgerbob »

If you need the hard case and need it to be protective, the MB is the only option. The downside is that it's super heavy and pretty bulky, enough so that I wouldn't want to daily drive it.

If you want something to take both horns around town (but not fly with), then a bag is a better option. Of course the downside is that they won't protect your horn nearly as well.

I personally have two double bags (double tenor and double bass... I use the double bass with a tenor/bass config when needed) and choose to fly with my horns separately, but I have the privilege of a screwbell bass.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Another option is to have a gig bag and a case for golf clubs. You can pack around the gig bag with clothes or other padding material. Seems the Baggage Gorillas are more careful with golf club bags than musical instrument cases.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

For airlines, I would only trust "The Tank". I have flown all over the planet with my alto and tenor -- to Alaska, Japan, Korea, and many other places, and have never had any damage. No gate check either -- straight up checked baggage.
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:50 am If you need the hard case and need it to be protective, the MB is the only option. The downside is that it's super heavy and pretty bulky, enough so that I wouldn't want to daily drive it.

If you want something to take both horns around town (but not fly with), then a bag is a better option. Of course the downside is that they won't protect your horn nearly as well.

I personally have two double bags (double tenor and double bass... I use the double bass with a tenor/bass config when needed) and choose to fly with my horns separately, but I have the privilege of a screwbell bass.
I was checking out your Marcus Bonna vids last night! I was wondering how flexible the fiberglass is? The way their double bag is configured the two horns sit on top of one another and I worry that if something heavy gets set on top of the case, the valve section of either horn could be at risk of damage. I used to have a wolfpack case that had a fiberglass shell and while there was was a ton of padding and it was fairly stiff, there was some flexibility to the shell.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

MB cases have basically no flex at all- I wouldn't test it, but you could probably sit on the double case and the horns would be fine.

The Tank is better if you just need something to fly with, of course. But not much use for anything else!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Curious, what is 'the Tank' ?
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

marccromme wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:38 pm Curious, what is 'the Tank' ?
http://the-tank.us/instrument-cases/trombone-cases/

Sturdy.

Pricey.

Cheers,
Andy
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:55 am MB cases have basically no flex at all- I wouldn't test it, but you could probably sit on the double case and the horns would be fine.

The Tank is better if you just need something to fly with, of course. But not much use for anything else!
Thanks for the info!
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:27 am For airlines, I would only trust "The Tank". I have flown all over the planet with my alto and tenor -- to Alaska, Japan, Korea, and many other places, and have never had any damage. No gate check either -- straight up checked baggage.
I've looked at the tanks and given them some thought. Its good to know they are plenty sturdy. I once watched United lose half a company's checked luggage on a one layover Itinerary, so I think I'm still leaning towards a traditional hard case that I can take through security to the gate. Thank you for the input!
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

Has anyone tried out the new carbon fiber Bonna's? I would assume they are lighter than the traditional fiberglass?
jeremyesmith

Post by jeremyesmith »

To go a different route from the MBs, I bought the Glenn Cronkhite double bag for this very purpose. Flew with a tenor and bass trombone in one bag on a Southwest flight with the bag in the overhead. No problems whatsoever. That was the only time I have done this so far.

Here's a link to my review before and after the flight.
https://www.lastrowmusic.com/product-re ... mbone-bag/
Jeremy Smith
Founder/Editor - www.lastrowmusic.com
Bass Trombone - Huntington Symphony Orchestra
Low Brass Professor - Ohio Wesleyan University, Kenyon College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
Elow

Post by Elow »

I have a tank for my mirafone tuba, it’s a tank. The trombone has to be smaller, but it still is probably massive. I use it as a desk in a shed because it have no where else to put it. I would hate to have to bring it anywhere, loading it in and out of any car is a difficult task alone. I tried getting it into a trunk of a jacked up truck and almost got crushed.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

For airplanes I'd trust the gig bag / SKB solution before the tank for straight up checked luggage.
Or the MB for a gate check.
Or a smaller gig bag for the tenor overhead and an MB or BAM to gate check the bass.
I've been on too many flights where the overhead space didn't meet expectations, and have occasionally run into a flight attendant having a bad day.
For any serious touring I'd go for a straight up Anvil style case (there are other manufacturers, Armadillo, R&R, etc). Totally customizable and I prefer the construction methods and options to the tank case.
YMMV
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

jeremyesmith wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:42 am To go a different route from the MBs, I bought the Glenn Cronkhite double bag for this very purpose. Flew with a tenor and bass trombone in one bag on a Southwest flight with the bag in the overhead. No problems whatsoever. That was the only time I have done this so far.

Can you imagine if they told you you had to gate check that though?
jeremyesmith

Post by jeremyesmith »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:53 pm
jeremyesmith wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:42 am To go a different route from the MBs, I bought the Glenn Cronkhite double bag for this very purpose. Flew with a tenor and bass trombone in one bag on a Southwest flight with the bag in the overhead. No problems whatsoever. That was the only time I have done this so far.

Can you imagine if they told you you had to gate check that though?

Very true. Honestly, it was a risk but I went in with the mindset of "don't draw attention even if you are 6'6" and carrying something half as long as you." The leather case is pretty durable and it was packed well in case that would be an issue. But I also thought of little things.

- Early Bird Check-in for earlier seating
- Closest overhead bin to the entrance
- Put Gig bag on opposite shoulder of hand with ticket so my body blocks the bag size...

Plus it was an early morning direct flight. I wouldn't always recommend it, but it worked for me.
Jeremy Smith
Founder/Editor - www.lastrowmusic.com
Bass Trombone - Huntington Symphony Orchestra
Low Brass Professor - Ohio Wesleyan University, Kenyon College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Jeremy, I want to thank you.

A couple years ago, my instructor assigned me the Hasse Suite as my first big solo. I found you on Youtube and you saved my butt. Man, I listened to you non-stop for a week. We were even playing duets! In unison... um, for the most part.

My instructor was quite impressed with how quickly I picked it up. I didn't say anything, just modestly smiled.

Anyway, thanks, man!
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

From post
https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic. ... 96#p160696
https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic. ... 96#p160696

Re: Gewa double case

Post by whitbey » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:08 am
I got one.
Ordered it from Hickeys. Took 6 months for delivery. Might be supply chain issues.

I really like the case. I have several things I want to have two horns at, or more stuff then fits in one case.
This is the first case in my life that did not need altering. It is not a wood case, but it has the firm fiberish board.

The slide compartment is nice. It is longer then needed, enough longer that the mouthpiece could stay on the slide and go in. ( just fitting, I do not do that) The bell compartment is set up very well. While there is a diagonal wall between, each bell section stands square with plenty of room to fit securely.

I found I could put a Hercules stand in the bells. The bag gets real heavy then. Music can stuff in beside a bell. And my water bottle wrapped up and my bag of toys goes in by the bells easy.

There are pouches on both sides. one side goes against my body when carrying, so i would not put much more then a music folder in. The other pouch is smaller, but is big enough for my folding music stand and it has a place for two MP's

I have a stand I need for my arm that is about the size of a bell section. I can clip it on the outside. Or if I wish I can take one extra slide for back up and put the stands in the other bell section.

My Bach bass with its wild and wide second valve lever fits real easy with an Edwards tenor with the valve. This bag would hold two bass bones. The bigger bell would fit.

It has two straps that do not work for me. I am the problem, not the bag. I have big shoulders. I wear a 60 long suit coat. I am the guy in the back row that looks like Shrek. If i put the bag on a table I can get it on and it sit ok on my back. I expect the backpack straps would work for most. There is a second strap for a one strap carry. That is too short for me. But I have straps that are longer with nice hardware. My strap goes on and the case fits over my shoulder pretty good.

It is easy to get either horn out and leave the other. I have an older altered Bags of Spain that is set up nice now and word ok. But I do like not having to take one horn out to get to the bottom one. Side by side is nice.

An Alto would fit, but I would stick a towel in to keep it in place.

The magnet latch for the handle is cool and has worked perfect. The zippers seem better then most cases. i use the old tubes of Trombontine for zippers now that I switched to Yamasnot.

The bag will hold a lot of junk and stands. If you do put a lot in it will be heavy. I usually do not take a lot of stuff.

I have four different playing situations that taking two horns will b a nice help. One case is better.

The Marcus B case is better then the Bag of Spain, except my has been altered to be good. I think this case is laid out better the the Marcus B Case. The Marcus B Case is still probably made better. But maybe not.

https://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku121078.php

https://gewabags.com/product/17648/gewa ... -sps.html
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Conn 34H Alto
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I bumped and re posted my thoughts on then Gewa case.

The only negative is since you can cram so much in it. It can get heavy.

I bought a 3 wheeled golf cart are a second hand sports place for $20 and a couple tarp straps. Easy now.
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
TrombonePapi512

Post by TrombonePapi512 »

Marcus Bonna Double Case is the best in my opinion. It’s what I currently use, might be switching to a double cut bell MB In the near future.
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:55 am MB cases have basically no flex at all- I wouldn't test it, but you could probably sit on the double case and the horns would be fine.
I’ve sat on 3 out of the 4 Marcus bonna cases I’ve owned. Super strong, especially when the slide is like perpendicular to your butt when sitting, only one I’ve been sketched out by is the original cut bell case

Return to “Accessories”