King 608f trombone slide

Jimbobweld

King 608f trombone slide

Post by Jimbobweld »

I own a King 608f and the slide is terrible. I've tried everything I know to cure it. I've yet to have it shipped off to be realigned. Will that fix my issue? Any recommendations on who to ship it too? I would even purchase a new slide if needed. Thanks
BGuttman

Re: King 608f trombone slide

Post by BGuttman »

Is the problem alignment? Or are there sections of tube that are out of round? Or is there severe corrosion on the inner slide?

As to finding where to ship it, where are you located (state or province if US or Canada, or country if in Europe). There are good slide techs all over the world (except, it seems, in Australia ;) ).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Jimbobweld

Post by Jimbobweld »

Honestly not entirely sure. Before every gig I have to swab and clean the slide. It stays slick for about 15 minutes then feels gummy. I currently use trombotine and water. I have experimented with that cream from barely using and to using a pea sized amount.
Jimbobweld

Post by Jimbobweld »

I have used the same lube technique on other bones I have with no issues. I live in Illinois USA. I really like the tone of the 608 and really don't want to part with it
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Your problem is likely not due to your lube technique. It needs attention from a good tech. Members here can advise you - there are surely a few in Illinois!
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Here is a tutorial of what is involved to properly correct bad slide action.
There are many good technicians across the country who can provide this level of service.
http://www.oberloh.com/SPL/spl1.htm
Last edited by CharlieB on Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

There are so many things that can make a slide perform badly. Many times, it is a combination of multiple problems.

Metal is flexible and malleable, so a slide that is warped or dented in many places can be fixed and made to work very smoothly. However, if there is any red rot on the outer slide tube or there are any corroded areas on the inner slide, the end product will have limitations, unless you replace some of the tubes.

Most people who think their slide is in decent condition have no clue how many dents are on it. A few days ago, I was working on a player’s King 2B. He wanted me to do work on the bell and said the slide was in great shape. He thought the slide was a 9.5 out of 10 and wondered what I thought of it. I evaluated the slide as a 6/10. I held the slide up to a bright light to see the dents. By the time I was done, I had found over 70 dents on the slide that I circled with a wax pencil. After removing all of the dents and aligning the tubes, he has a different perspective on what a slide that is 9.5/10 or 10/10 feels like.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:31 pm There are so many things that can make a slide perform badly. Many times, it is a combination of multiple problems.

Most people who think their slide is in decent condition have no clue how many dents are on it. ...
After removing all of the dents and aligning the tubes, ... a different perspective on what a slide that is 9.5/10 or 10/10 feels like.
So true! :good:
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Yeah, time for a good tech to take a look at it. I know the slides can be good AND brian does work because my 607 slide is impeccable, after his work on it :biggrin:

Return to “Modification & Repair”