This bell is absolutely nuts!

baBposaune

This bell is absolutely nuts!

Post by baBposaune »

I bought a Shires BII 7GM very recently in hopes of getting somewhat close to the sound and feel of an Elkhart 62. It played pretty well although it was a tad on the lighter side and a bit wide. So I thought, "Hmm...what about cutting the bell and installing a threaded ring?" This is the result after the man, Stephen Shires did the work for me. It plays like an Elkhart Conn on steroids. Wonderful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Posaunus

Re: This bell is absolutely nuts!

Post by Posaunus »

:good:
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

The ring warmed up the sound and I can push the volume much more without the tone spreading. I've been "A/B/C-ing" it with my Shires and two Elkhart 62Hs. Really glad and followed my instincts (and experience) and had this mod done. Not only can I get a flat case for stowing on a flight in the overheard bins but it turned an "Okay" bell into an improved one.

Blair Bollinger once said, "Never cut a bell you like." This one was a good candidate to have the screw ring added since it was not a favorite. It doesn't play exactly like a vintage Conn but it has some of the similar character and I will be using this bell now.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

That’s wonderful! I love it when you have a piece of equipment that doesn’t work for you and a little modification can make it work like magic.

I had a Bach 36 bell that I mounted on an otherwise Bach 42 bell section. I was so disappointed because it played very stiff and stuffy. Since the bell came to me completely smashed, I figured the problem was that the bell was work-hardened from all of the dent work. After I annealed it and remounted it, the bell was astounding!

Enjoy your new bell!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

I’ve always been curious as to whether cutting a bell flare that’s on the lighter side would add just enough weight to make it better. Now you have me thinking. 🧐🧐
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:57 am I’ve always been curious as to whether cutting a bell flare that’s on the lighter side would add just enough weight to make it better. Now you have me thinking. 🧐🧐
In this case it did make it warmer and the added weight made the sound more "together" than it was before. FYI for folks who are interested I ordered the threaded ring from M&K Drawing and Bending by calling them and they asked for the brand of instrument. Couldn't find it on their website and had been told they make them. Stephen Shires told me that the fit is very good.

Matt Varho
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

baBposaune wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:22 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:57 am I’ve always been curious as to whether cutting a bell flare that’s on the lighter side would add just enough weight to make it better. Now you have me thinking. 🧐🧐
In this case it did make it warmer and the added weight made the sound more "together" than it was before. FYI for folks who are interested I ordered the threaded ring from M&K Drawing and Bending by calling them and they asked for the brand of instrument. Couldn't find it on their website and had been told they make them. Stephen Shires told me that the fit is very good.

Matt Varho
:good:
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Matt Varho
Instrument Innovations (Mike Olson). M/K don't make screw ring sets.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

hornbuilder wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:35 pm

Matt Varho
Matthew, you are so right! It was Instrument Innovations. See what you have to look forward to when you get to be my age? :lol:
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

hornbuilder wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:35 pm

Matt Varho
Thanks!!
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

Matt Varho
INSTRUMENT INNOVATIONS!! Not M&K.

Return to “Modification & Repair”