Hard Case Recommendations

WGWTR180

Hard Case Recommendations

Post by WGWTR180 »

Looking for hard case recommendations for a King 3BF.
Thanks.
elmsandr

Re: Hard Case Recommendations

Post by elmsandr »

Not a recommendation, per se, but I saw that Steven Mead moved to a Wiseman Hard case for his Euph. I went to their website…. I WANT somebody to buy a trombone case and tell me that it isn’t worth it, because they look beautiful and have most all the features I want.

Please, spend more on the case than the horn and tell me!

https://wisemanlondon.com/product-cate ... one-cases/

Cheers,
Andy
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

You and me both!

The hardest part about the 3bf is that it's a small bore, but doesn't fit many 8" small bore cases that are slim. I've been using a BAM classic and Marcus Bonna tenor case. But the Bonna case is very big for the 3bf. But with the velcro straps inside I'm able to keep the horn secure.

If you're looking for something cheaper you could look at a Protec Pro Pac case. It's a little bulkier and heavier than the brands I've mentioned, but it's also cheaper. And it does a good job securing the horn. I use one for my bass bone.

Some people might recommend the Eastman case. I don't even know if a 3bf would fit in one of those. But I've never liked those cases so they stay off my list.

Also, Aidan (burgerbob) has a good looking hack he did with a SKB 360 that has intrigued me. You can see it in this video
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I would say Eastman, BAM classic, or SKB 360.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

I'm cheap, so would probably do the SKB mod, but the new King faux-carbon fiber case looks good and definitely fits...
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

elmsandr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:37 am Not a recommendation, per se, but I saw that Steven Mead moved to a Wiseman Hard case for his Euph. I went to their website…. I WANT somebody to buy a trombone case and tell me that it isn’t worth it, because they look beautiful and have most all the features I want.

Cheers,
Andy
Looks nice BUT I wont be your case study.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

elmsandr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:37 am Not a recommendation, per se, but I saw that Steven Mead moved to a Wiseman Hard case for his Euph. I went to their website…. I WANT somebody to buy a trombone case and tell me that it isn’t worth it, because they look beautiful and have most all the features I want.

Cheers,
Andy
Looks nice BUT I wont be your case study.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I like mine in the SKB 360, but I just got that faux-fiber King case and it's pretty sweet.

To be honest, mine mostly lives in a double bag so I haven't used the fancy case yet.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Thanks everyone. I have an SKB for my 2BSS and I definitely like the compact size. Storage not really a concern for me as there's enough room for a mouthpiece and lubricants. If I win the PBALL I'll grab a Wiseman. LOL
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

ithinknot wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:24 am but the new King faux-carbon fiber case looks good and definitely fits...
A friend of mine got recently got his hands on one. They’re surprisingly bulkier and heavier than I expected. They definitely look slick though. And unless you had a BAM or Eastman case you wouldnt know it was bulkier and heavier.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Cheers,
Andy
I know a couple people who have the leather covered version (for clarinet, bassoon and trumpet) and have had them for a long time and really like them.

For trombone - personally, I wouldn't want to have to rip open a nautical mile of velcro to open my case so I've never considered one. I see that the newer carbon fiber model has latches and wouldn't have that "issue".

Judging be what I've seen up close for the aforementioned non-trombone cases, they are very well made but rather heavy for their size.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

bassclef wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:18 pm

Judging be what I've seen up close for the aforementioned non-trombone cases, they are very well made but rather heavy for their size.
Yes, my wife had the bassoon Wiseman for a long time. It was very fancy and compact, but weighed at least 2x what her current Marcus Bonna does.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:54 am Looking for hard case recommendations for a King 3BF.
Thanks.
Bill, I think I'm going to sell my fancy King 3B case- if you're interested let me know. When I'm moving that horn by itself I'd rather use my Cronkhite travel bag I think.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:51 pm
WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:54 am Looking for hard case recommendations for a King 3BF.
Thanks.
Bill, I think I'm going to sell my fancy King 3B case- if you're interested let me know. When I'm moving that horn by itself I'd rather use my Cronkhite travel bag I think.
Hi Aidan. Thanks for the offer. After watching your video I found a great deal on an SKB that I'm going to adjust for the 3B. For the price and my needs it's the best option for me.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Thanks.
It will fit perfectly in the Conn 88H case. Those are cheap and get the job done
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Cheers,
Andy
That carbon fiber case looks terrible on the inside -- the slide looks like it is free to flop around in the case and rests against the bell. I know it doesn't actually do that, but that setup looks like it was designed by a space alien. Also, it is designed to either drain water from the slide into the bell, or allow rotor oil to leech into the tuning slides. The bell edge and water key should be both at the "bottom" of the case, with something in the way to catch oil if it leeches out.
pmeiden

Post by pmeiden »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:24 pm That carbon fiber case looks terrible on the inside -- the slide looks like it is free to flop around in the case and rests against the bell. I know it doesn't actually do that, but that setup looks like it was designed by a space alien. Also, it is designed to either drain water from the slide into the bell, or allow rotor oil to leech into the tuning slides. The bell edge and water key should be both at the "bottom" of the case, with something in the way to catch oil if it leeches out.
I have a Wiseman carbon fiber bass case. Agree that it does look like something an alien designed, but it works well. The slide is indeed separated from the bell - when the case is open the slide cannot contact the bell, and when the case is closed the clamshell further prevents any motion.

On the outside of the case, the handle on the end can be moved from the bell-end to the TS end at will, allowing the case to store the horn bell-down if you wish. As a backpack, it is far more comfortable to wear bell-up, as you’d expect.

Interestingly, regarding the drainage Harrison mentions, the orientation of the slide vs bell (all open ends in the same direction) is the same as it is in all my other cases (small-bore Bach French, BAM bass and tenor, Getzen bass). In fact in the Bach case, when closed, the slide dripped condensation onto the bell surface. At any rate, I haven’t noticed any issue with condensation. Then again, I use the case for transport, and at home or rehearsal the horn is usually on a stand.

Anyway that’s been my experience with the case. I’m very happy with it.

Return to “Accessories”