Conn Formula 3 Oil- What is it?

Posaunus

Conn Formula 3 Oil- What is it?

Post by Posaunus »

Buried in a used but well-preserved Bach 36 coffin case that I'm about to dispose of, I found a small plastic bottle (¼ oz) of clear oil labeled "CONN Formula 3." My guess is that it was oil meant to lubricate a trombone slide ( :horror: ) - but of course it could be valve oil or rotor oil. :idk:

Can anyone help me identify this mystery juice?
ithinknot

Re: Conn Formula 3 Oil- What is it?

Post by ithinknot »

silicone, now rebranded as Superslick Plus
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ithinknot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:00 pm silicone, now rebranded as Superslick Plus
Aha! Thanks. Sort of similar to the Slide-O-Mix juice in the small red-capped bottle?
HermanGerman

Post by HermanGerman »

It was used in combination with the Conn Slide Cream...it helped a little to make the slide slicker but did not last very long. I used it in the Eighties but when Slide-o-mix was introduced, end of the 80ies or so, I never bought that tiny bottle again..
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

What they said. King had Superslick and Formula 3, a similar product. The cream is applied first, then a few drops of the liquid on each slide stocking, and then the stockings were sprayed with water. I stopped using it when I found Yamaha's slide lubricant.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Perkyier

Re: Conn Superslick

Post by Perkyier »

Is this stuff still made by Conn? I’ve got a jar of Superslick leftover from the ‘80s that is almost out now. I apply to the slide somewhat sparingly, then spray water. I was looking to purchase a new jar but wasn’t sure if what I was seeing on the internet. What are others using? What do you recommend?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

From reports here, the most common slide prep is the Yamaha stuff (not quite sure what they call it: slide lube? oil? but it's not the cream).

Some of us use Trombotine. It's pretty close to the old Pond's cold cream formula; at least in how it works. You can add the small bottle of Slide-O-Mix with Trombotine like you used to use the little bottle of Plus with the Superslick.

I also use UltraPure slide oil on top of my Trombotine. I also use it as a "refresher" for my slide if I don't have time to do a full Trombotine cleaning and lube. Surprisingly, UltraPure works as a refresher for Trombotine, Slide-O-Mix, and other preparations. You wouldn't use it with the Yamaha stuff since you can just use more Yamaha stuff as a refresher.

Some folks like the Slide-O-Mix or its one part counterpart Rapid Comfort. If you want to convert from a cream to SOM or RC you need to do a really good cleanout of your slide. The two create a very gummy mess if mixed.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Re: Conn Superslick

Post by Posaunus »

Perkyier wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:49 pm Is this stuff still made by Conn? I’ve got a jar of Superslick leftover from the ‘80s that is almost out now. I apply to the slide somewhat sparingly, then spray water. I was looking to purchase a new jar but wasn’t sure if what I was seeing on the internet.
Apparently it's still made (but sold by Superslick, not Conn). As ithinknot noted, the old Conn "Formula 3" is now labeled "Superslick Plus." Similar to the small bottle of Slide-O-Mix (red cap). As previously noted, it's a silicone oil "refresher" for the Superslick cream (or any other creamy lubricant, like Trombotine). If you want to stick with this method of lubing, you'll need a new jar of Superslick cream as well as a bottle of Superslick Plus.
What are others using? What do you recommend?
I long ago switched from cream lubricants to liquids - first Slide-O-Mix (red) 2-part; now 1-part Slide-O-Mix "Rapid Comfort" (blue cap) or Yamaha Slide Lubricant. They all work great (on my nearly pristine slides) - easier to apply and remove, and lasts until my regular hygiene procedure (which I do every few days). No gumminess, no sluggishness if used properly and sparingly.

Return to “Accessories”