42 Slide Length

posaunebone

42 Slide Length

Post by posaunebone »

Has anyone ever shortened a Bach 42 slide to shires length / removed length from the slide tubes? Wondering how this mod may work vs shortening the tuning slide or just using a shires slide on a Bach bell section and any impacts it may have had other than pitch. I have a donor 42 Slide I might be willing to make some cuts to as a test before spending even more on a shires slide adventure.
hornbuilder

Re: 42 Slide Length

Post by hornbuilder »

Perfectly do-able. It does involve a complete slide rebuild, essentially, but that would be much less expensive than a new slide.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Certainly more work that cutting down a tuning slide!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:04 am Certainly more work that cutting down a tuning slide!
Yes, but the change in bell geometry can certainly have a negative impact on the way the horn plays, in my experience. Shortening the handslide doesn't change the bell geometry at all.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
hiktro

Post by hiktro »

I had a 42LT handslide cut the same length as the Edwards handslide. I feel it a little more responsive than before it was cut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Modification & Repair”