Water-damaged case

rickfaulknernyc

Water-damaged case

Post by rickfaulknernyc »

The original square hardshell case for my 3B got water-damaged when my storage space flooded a while back. I've tried cleaning it multiple ways (commercial mold control cleaner, vinegar solution, baking soda, sunlight, etc.). The case is clean, and the shell is intact, but no matter what I do there's a lingering musty odor. Since it's a vintage case, I'm reluctant to give up and just throw it out. Anybody have a deodorizing method that you've tried successfully?
Burgerbob

Re: Water-damaged case

Post by Burgerbob »

I hate to be the downer, but I have tried many ways with different cases (including very cool ones) and I've never been able to really get rid of the smell. It might not be apparent when you have the case open, but once you put in a horn for a couple days it'll be back. I've had to throw away every one of those cases eventually.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
rickfaulknernyc

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:19 pm I hate to be the downer, but I have tried many ways with different cases (including very cool ones) and I've never been able to really get rid of the smell. It might not be apparent when you have the case open, but once you put in a horn for a couple days it'll be back. I've had to throw away every one of those cases eventually.
No worries, you're confirming what I already suspected. This post was mostly a Hail Mary before I give up and chuck it.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Anybody ever tried an ozone generator? That's how commercial companies get rid of smells.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The real issue here is that the milder is on the wood shell under the plush lining.

Someone reported success putting an open case inside a car and running an ozone generator.

I've had some success leaving a dryer sheet inside the case. The dryer sheet must be replaced from time to time.

If the mildew is really strong you really can't kill it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

In other mold situations I have had some success with Arm & Hammer Super Washing Powder. Have not tried it on a case yet.
rickfaulknernyc

BGuttman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:28 pm The real issue here is that the milder is on the wood shell under the plush lining.

If the mildew is really strong you really can't kill it.
Yeah, that's my big concern. The slot where the bell fits stayed damp long after the rest of the case dried out; I'm wondering if there's mold deep down in the foam.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Prolonged water saturation when the storage space flooded has allowed the mildew to permeate the fabric, the foam and the wood. In order to reverse the problem, that saturation needs to be duplicated by a mildew odor elimination product. There are many good ones on the market.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Bright sunlight can help, but it might not get everywhere.

I've definitely thrown out vintage cases.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:19 pm I hate to be the downer, but I have tried many ways with different cases (including very cool ones) and I've never been able to really get rid of the smell. It might not be apparent when you have the case open, but once you put in a horn for a couple days it'll be back. I've had to throw away every one of those cases eventually.
DId you ever try cooking it in a really hot car for a few days? I mean inside a car in Palm Springs in August - you need to get it up over 140°F (60°C) to start killing bacteria.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

The case got a little water in it. Sprayed some lysol. Then left it out in the sun.....that turned to rain.

I used an Ozone generator. Worked.

I am a realtor and get stinky houses. So I have one for that.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

I had to trash a very nice plywood Besson bass trb case due to the permanent smell. The proteins in the animal based glues under the vinyl and/or fabric coverings "feed" the mildew bacteria so it's about impossible to kill the smell off. Time to move on to a Protec or Marcus Bonna, sorry.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Some years ago, one of my euphonium students had a flooded basement, the exact location that she used to store her horn and practice. Thus, her Yamaha Neo euphonium and case were completely submerged for a couple of days.

The restoration company apparently used an ozone generator for the cleanup process and the euphonium case was part of that. It turned out that she was given a brand new case through the flood insurance settlement. She gave the old “flood damaged” case to me. Great timing for me…..my 1970s Besson case was falling apart at that time. I have never smelled anything strange in that case……it has worked perfectly. The only flaw is that the lining just looks a bit worn.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Maintenance”