Olds Recording as a Lead Trombone?

ericrich

Olds Recording as a Lead Trombone?

Post by ericrich »

Hi all,

I've heard great things about the vintage Olds Recording model, particularly with regard to richness of sound for a small bore instrument. Has anyone had success using the Recording as a Lead Trombone? I've heard the red "Rey-O-Lite" (sp?) bell can make that a challenge...

TIA,
Eric
Eric Richards
Composer/Arranger/Conductor/Trombone
SoundCloud:
http://www.soundcloud.com/ericrich
ER Music Sampler on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PGo37GZTIX
hyperbolica

Re: Olds Recording as a Lead Trombone?

Post by hyperbolica »

Its a great ballad or solo horn, but I don't think I'd try lead on it in a section of small bones. If the others are playing bigger horns you might get away with it. It's got a very dark sound for a small bore, which is part of the attraction but also part of the difficulty.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

One time Ben Patterson and I both showed up on a big band gig with our Recordings. I don't remember which one of us played lead or if we split it, but it worked out well.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Depends on the sound that you (and the mouthpiece you choose) create, and the sound of your section mates.

I've found my Recording to be a bit of a chameleon - I can make it sound big or small - or dark or bright - depending on my mouthpiece and my approach.

Definitely possible as a lead trombone. Why not try it?

Besides, if in good condition, they are beautiful!
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

FWIW from a weekend warrior, I used an R-20 (Recording w/f-attachment) on lead in a local big band (not a particularly good one) for a couple years with good results.
Trombonic

Post by Trombonic »

I played lead with an Olds Recording, too, and it worked fine with a 12C type mp. John Mosca plays (played?) lead with the Mel Lewis/Vanguard Orchestra with a .525Conn 79H for decades. It works good enough for New York City.. the Recording has a warm sound but the sound is not dull.
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

I liked mine. I sold it because it was too front heavy and I couldn't find an original counterweight back then.

For me, the heavy slide/light bell combo (Conn) works a bit better than the Olds (other way around). The heavy red bell, to me, means one can struggle to match air and mouthpiece if you want plenty of color at low volumes and the right characteristics at high volumes. If you want to preserve the original vibe, it is important to find one with good fluted inners.

IMO, they remain underappreciated, but not as under appreciated as Supers.

Paul
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I have an Olds Recording. It's not my main choice for lead but works, and no problem if second and third are a bit smaller. I personally do not play bigger than a .508 for lead (probably not) but I have done it in the past on rehearsals and at a dance gig with a party dance big band, it was just to try my Wallace & WIlliams No 2 (.522), but I found that to be a bit big for me. I think it is unnecessary power for a dance gig. Why?

In some threads here I've read that people say .525 horns and even .547 horns could be used for first. Probably so, but I've never come across a professional player here who uses such big horns for lead but I can not say it is wrong. Once someone pointed out to me when we discussed sizes of horns in a big band that the guys in the Dave Holland Band all were on .547 horns :biggrin: . Since there are exceptions to anything I think what is important is what people use in general terms, and then we could perhaps settle for an ideal size? In general turns over here pro players do not use horns that are larger than .508 for lead and in general terms amateur players over here do not either. This analyze comes from that I've never been at a concert where a lead player in a big band had a horn larger than .508 and I've never played a concert myself with anyone on lead who had a horn larger than .508 and besides this I also know what the older pro-players in Stockholm used to play. The only person I know here who once choose a larger horn for lead and got payed to do so in a big band is me on my Wallace & Williams. :good:

When it comes to the particular Olds Recording in question I've come across one pro player who had an Olds Recording for lead and it worked, but he does not play that horn now, I think he sold it.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:12 pm One time Ben Patterson and I both showed up on a big band gig with our Recordings. I don't remember which one of us played lead or if we split it, but it worked out well.
I'm 90% sure Ben is still using his to play lead in the Airmen.

https://i0.wp.com/benpattersonjazz.com/ ... .jpg?ssl=1

I use mine for loud live wedding band hits all the time with no issues. I have a Studio that cuts a bit better but the recording is hands down easier and more fun to play. Also more versatile.

I also have a Super. I like the Studio and Recording both a lot better.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Pretty sure Ben retired, but he came to my town a few months ago and played and was, indeed, playing an Olds that looks like the one in the picture.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

For my beautiful Olds R15 Recording (1968), I recently purchased from Doug Elliott a D3*/Olds Shank, which works perfectly with an ST D Cup and appropriate ST Rim (better than any of my too-small Olds mouthpieces). Played this last week in a big band on 2nd trombone with an ST 99 Rim. Lead was playing his new Shires 0.500" bore. No one complained about my sound or any mismatch with the section (Bach 3rd, Shires bass). No problem with high range - nice sound and intonation (from my side of the bell).

Next week, I'll be subbing (rehearsal) on lead with the same equipment; 2nd trombonist will be playing a Bach. Lots of mix & match in this band, but it generally sounds good to my ear. I'll seek comments from other band members on the blend after the rehearsal.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

Definitely know players that used one for lead with great results. But all of them eventually moved to other horns where it required less effort to get dialed into that idiom. I know one player switched to a Super while the others went to Kings.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Holding such a front-heavy tank gets tiresome, but they play and sound great.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:57 pm Holding such a front-heavy tank gets tiresome, but they play and sound great.
My Recording was front heavy until I installed a Conn counterweight that was drilled out to fit the ½" diameter tuning slide brace (thanks John Sandhagen!). Now better balanced, and a joy to play. One of my top-3 straight tenors. :good:
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I soldered an Ambassador counterweight to the inside radius of my Recording tuning slide, which fixed the balance problem. The gussets in the grip make it one of the most comfortable horns to hold as long as its balanced.

If it were the only small bore i had, sure I'd use it for lead, but if i had options, I'd pick something less dark like 2b, Urbie, 6h, 3b or even Getzen 1050. I've seen guys play big horns on lead more out of habit than conscious choice. It creates a lot of mushy volume without the ability to hear articulation. Just my personal preference I guess.
cb56

Post by cb56 »

Olds Super would do the job better IMO
It worked for me back in my younger days.

Return to “Instruments”