Cases for "Long" Trombone Slides

Posaunus

Cases for "Long" Trombone Slides

Post by Posaunus »

I have known for a while that some trombones have longer slides than others. My 1969 Conn 71H is one of those long-slide trombones (as are other Conn bass trombones of that era). Its slide is very long, so that it does not fit into most trombone cases. (But its extra length does permit me to play an in-tune low C with this single-valve trombone, if I stretch my arm enough!)

I normally store my 71H in the original Conn case, which works just fine (though it's a bit heavy).
I just tried putting it into a ProTec MAX bass trombone case, and the slide does fit (just barely), as does the bell section. This case (not the ultimate, but perfectly adequate to transport the trombone to and from rehearsals and performances, and to store at home) is quite lightweight. None of my other cases would accommodate the 71H's long slide, though I'm sure there are some bass trombone cases that can handle the job. In any event, I'm glad that I discovered that I have a lightweight option to carry a "long-slide" trombone.
Crazy4Tbone86

Re: Cases for "Long" Trombone Slides

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I store my 1960’s Elkhart Conn 72H in a Cronkite G-Series gig bag. The slide sleeve is placed in the bag with the bell and it is plenty long enough for those great old slides.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 am I store my 1960’s Elkhart Conn 72H in a Cronkite G-Series gig bag. The slide sleeve is placed in the bag with the bell and it is plenty long enough for those great old slides.
Good to know. But I'm leery of gig bags.
My tech admonished me to avoid them!
I'm not much of a risk-taker.
The Protec MAX is very light but still reasonably protective.
And very affordable!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Ironically, Chronkhite gig bags are probably the most protective case for slides for most use (meaning not checking in an airplane). The slide just floats in the pouch and is exposed to no pressure from an integral part of of the case when moving. Hard cases almost always have a rigid layer or semi rigid layer on n one side that will inevitably bump around a little
jpconn

Post by jpconn »

That's so funny. I asked about the same subject for the same horn just a few days ago. Glad to see some suggestions! 😆
SteveFoote

Post by SteveFoote »

You are talking about this? MX309CT
https://www.protecstyle.com/BASS-TROMBONE-MAX-CASE

Seems like I saw a post a while back that said a Conn 7XH would fit in the tenor case below also. Their specs show a 9 1/4" bell which is too small but a 35 1/2" slide length which should be sufficient.
PB306CT
https://www.protecstyle.com/TENOR-TROMBONE-PRO-PAC-CASE
Anyone tried this?

All of the ProTec bass cases show they will hold a 10 1/2" bell or larger. I'm somewhat concerned about my "small" single valve 72H rattling around inside a large case.

I would like a relatively lightweight case with at least one shoulder strap. The Cronkhite case might be a viable alternative but it is more expensive. I love my horn but even love has its limits.

Thank you Posaunus for starting this thread. I have been wanting a new case but couldn't get comfortable with the info I could find so that I could put in an order.
King 3B Silver Sonic, Olds Opera, Conn 72H
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The extra bell size accommodation won’t be an issue. Those cases hold the bell in place closer to where it starts to flare. The lack of 1” won’t make it jostle around anymore.

Unfortunately, I do recall those cases not being long enough for some of the longer Conn slides but don’t take that as gospel. Those models change periodically and I might also be misremembering. The only real downside to those protec cases is the weight. Or at least I thought mine was on the heavy side.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Matt K wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:28 pm Unfortunately, I do recall those cases not being long enough for some of the longer Conn slides but don’t take that as gospel. Those models change periodically and I might also be misremembering. The only real downside to those protec cases is the weight. Or at least I thought mine was on the heavy side.
The Protec MAX bass trombone case accommodates my 1969 Conn 71H single-valve bass trombone just fine. It's all very snug. The very long Conn slide just barely fits in - securely held by the case. Bell size is not an issue - I've also used the case for a smaller tenor trombone.

The MAX case is very light. The Protec PRO PAC cases (perhaps this is what Matt had) are much heavier.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

It should be a fairly straightforward project to make more room in a Protec type case by adding a box section or bump for the slide bow and attaching with plastic epoxy from a hardware store.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

baileyman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:44 pm It should be a fairly straightforward project to make more room in a Protec type case by adding a box section or bump for the slide bow and attaching with plastic epoxy from a hardware store.
No need to surgically alter the Protec MAX bass trombone case - unlike most other cases, there's enough room for a long bass trombone slide as it comes from the factory.
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 »

I have a protec pro-pac for my 60h and fits with enough room for the bell and slide.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

jchiang9 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:29 pm I have a protec pro-pac for my 60h and fits with enough room for the bell and slide.
Good to know. :good:
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

A 72H will fit in a tenor protec propac but the piece that keeps the slide from sliding forward has to be removed. It shouldn't be hard if done carefully with a pocket knife. Then you can glue in a small block of wood to keep the slide in place. I can take a picture if that helps, my description isn't great I realize.

Return to “Accessories”