XO vs Bach

Kneesks

XO vs Bach

Post by Kneesks »

I remember talking briefly in the server about quality and playing experience people have had with horns and wonder how people would compare XO to Bach? Like a 1240R to 50B3, or a 1236 to 42BO. Is XO a competent brand in terms of bone quality, price, etc?
dcslideman

Re: XO vs Bach

Post by dcslideman »

I can't compare to Bach, but I can say that my XO 1634R is flawless including a perfect slide. I am as happy with its quality as my Yamahas.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

XO is not a third-rate brand. Their trombones are not necessarily inferior to Bach's - but they are different!
Remember also that Bach quality seems (from TromboneChat comments) to be widely variable.
Not sure whether this true for XO.
In any case, others' observations, preferences, and opinions may differ from yours.
See if you can compare in person - you'll learn a lot.
Cmiertschin

Post by Cmiertschin »

XO's instruments are certainly professional quality as factory-made horns go; I've tried a number of the trombones and have been very impressed. The 1634 is excellent and on my list of horns to purchase for sure, and possibly a 1236 eventually as well; I've also had students buy their basses (1240LT) and be very satisfied. My tech has also been very impressed with their workmanship, parts availability, and other things on the manufacturing side for what it's worth. On the non-trombone side of things, I'm a B.A.N.D. Artist for their 1650 double horn; it outplays my highly customized Yamaha right out of the case. Artist things aside, I'd happily recommend XO instruments to anyone looking for a horn; they're worth trying out at the very least.
Kneesks

Post by Kneesks »

I play am X0 1240R, its my high schools bass and tbh I haven't tried any other basses, but I do like it. I will say that finding people selling them is supringly hard. Haven't really seen any that a recent sales except one 1242 on WWBW
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Kneesks wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:57 pm I will say that finding people selling [XO] is [surprisingly] hard.
Try this: https://www.xobrass.com/us/store-locator
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I just emailed the XO folks about a replacement leadpipe for a 1240. They responded quickly and provided a list of dealers in my area based on my zip code. Try emailing [email protected].
Steve
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I have an XO 1236 as my backup and it’s a great horn. I paired it with an AR Resonance bronze mouthpiece and it’s wonderful. I have no complaints. I’ve had Bach instruments in the past, and I prefer this XO to any of the 42Bs that I’ve had. I cannot speak about the bass trombones. I’ve had Bach basses, but never an XO.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
MaxPirone

Post by MaxPirone »

I was an XO endorsed but for me was really havy and I never found a good feeling...i had a double Thayer with Red havy bell...
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

Kneesks wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:57 pm I play am X0 1240R, its my high schools bass and tbh I haven't tried any other basses, but I do like it. I will say that finding people selling them is supringly hard. Haven't really seen any that a recent sales except one 1242 on WWBW
Any retailer that sells Jupiter will be able to get an XO… same parent company.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

I've had a demo axial flow version for a week whilst my Bach was being repaired. Craftmanship was top notch but I presonally didn't like it. IMO it can't be compared to a Bach because wel....... it isnt a Bach.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

And that God it isn’t! If I wanted a horn that played like a bug that’s what I’d buy. Personally, I’ve never had any luck finding an Bach instrument they just don’t work for me.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Sorry, I’m dictating to Siri and she’s filling in words I didn’t say. If you want to Bach, get a Bach. If you don’t, there’s plenty of other choices XO being one of them.
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
Elow

Post by Elow »

My teacher is an XO artist, before he was playing on a Conn/Greenhoe 88H. I prefer him on the Conn, he sounds great on his small bore though. I played on his bass once, not my favorite horn but i was able to adjust to it easily. Plays well but the sound is what put me off.

Return to “Instruments”