Gig Bag Bell Protector

Elow

Gig Bag Bell Protector

Post by Elow »

I have seen circles with padding to reinforce gig bags, where can i get one for a reunion blues O bag?
Burgerbob

Re: Gig Bag Bell Protector

Post by Burgerbob »

They're called a gusset. You may be able to order one from Cronkhite, maybe Superfine can sell you one too
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

A gusset is a bag construction detail, the extra flat part on the bottom as opposed to the single folded material style of bag. Never heard that term for the bell protector disc.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:39 am A gusset is a bag construction detail, the extra flat part on the bottom as opposed to the single folded material style of bag. Never heard that term for the bell protector disc.
Don't blame me, blame Benn! That's where I got it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Are you talking about the wooden felt covered flare protector or something similar to the suspension system in gard bags
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

circle of 1/8" hardboard or ply (somewhat larger than your flare but measured to fit your bag) tucked inside your emergency beret/tea cosy/Softone mute
baroquetrombone

Post by baroquetrombone »

I've seen people use frisbees.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

baroquetrombone wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:53 pm I've seen people use frisbees.
I was just going to post this.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

If I am understanding this thread correctly, the OP is interested in making the bell end of a SOFT gig bag as rigid as possible. I have used this technique a few times:

Step 1: Go to a home improvement store and buy a single 12” by 12” square of linoleum flooring. Using a jig saw, cut a perfect circle that is about 1/4” SMALLER than a snug fit in the gig bag (the 1/4” smaller part will make sense after step 2).

Step 2: Using contact cement and your choice of fabric, glue the fabric on the circle covering one side completely and overlapping the other side by at least an inch. I usually use a black velvet material and do two layers of fabric (allowing the first layer of fabric to dry/cure for several hours before doing the second.

Take your time inserting the disc in order to not tug at the fabric edges. If you do not make the original disc 1/4 inch smaller than the snug fit, it could be very difficult inserting the disc.

The disc will be the perfect fit. It is also be very thin, very light and I have never had one break on me.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Accessories”