Songs of The Forest, by Frank Gulino

Reidclag

Songs of The Forest, by Frank Gulino

Post by Reidclag »

Hey people of Tromboneland,

If you’re looking for a bass trombone solo with trombone choir accompaniment I highly recommend Songs of The Forest by Frank Gulino, I had the opportunity to perform this piece a couple times over the past month and it turned out to be a great experience.

I particularly enjoyed the flexibility given to the soloist since the majority of this piece is written in rubato or cadenza, plus Gulino wrote many wonderful melodies in a range most bass trombonists will appreciate. The overall range goes from pedal E (at the very end) to Ab above the staff and it’s not the most virtuosic solo out there, though it provides the challenge of playing each phrase and melody with meaningful purpose and character.

There’s two links below for anyone who’s interested, the first link goes to a video of me playing with Bone Therapy at this year’s Tennessee Tech Trombone Day and the second goes to the sheet music. While I’m the first one to admit that the solo didn’t go 100% perfect, I think it’s good enough to survive the bombardment of critique swirling around the internet.

https://www.cimarronmusic.com/songsoftheforest
"Always be happy, never be satisfied."
Kdanielsen

Re: Songs of The Forest, by Frank Gulino

Post by Kdanielsen »

Franks’s whole catalog is great. Very accessible and trombone/tuba/euph friendly.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”