Trombone vs euphonium with piano

BrassSection

Trombone vs euphonium with piano

Post by BrassSection »

First, I’ll admit to being partial to the euphonium, since I’ve played baritone thru school years before getting a euph. Few years ago my daughter and I did a piano and euph duet of O Holy Night, even though the arrangement was noted for trombone. Well received, daughter thought it sounded good. My question is, was it my prejudice and would it have sounded better with my trombone, was the euph a good choice, or is it just listener preference? The previous year we did a low brass version of the same song (obviously a different arrangement, scored for euph 1 and euph 2. with a nephew and myself on euphs, daughter on French horn, and a pro tuba player. Again, very well received. Question raised because we may do one or the others in the future. Nephew abandoned euph, my grandson would pick up one euph part, leaving me to fill the other with trombone. Daughter and tuba player both available. If we just do the duet, advise of sticking with euph or switching to trombone? Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks
harrisonreed

Re: Trombone vs euphonium with piano

Post by harrisonreed »

*looks at website name* 🤔

I don't think it matters, for melodic music with piano. Melodies are more about the inflection and delivery of the person playing them, not the instrument they are playing.

It could be a nickelharpa and piano, and it would be only as good as the person's interpretation using that instrument, not the instrument itself.

The only real limitation is with dynamics. There are some combos, either duets or piano accompaniment that might not work. I'm thinking unamplified ocarina and a brass instrument. That wouldn't work.
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Yeah to the name, but how many euphonium sites have you seen! The other thought I had was, how many in the audience really know or care. Some responses I’ve gotten on euph: Nice French horn! Nice tuba! What IS that?? One asked about my trombone: Is that a trumpet? I feel comfortable with my choices, on any given Sunday I usually play trombone and trumpet, euph occasionally, and French horn occasionally, I just try to match the horn to the song. All improv, asked leader several times if he had a preference for instrument, he always replies “Just keep doing what you’re doing!” One keyboard player must like it, pulls one in ear monitor out to hear the brass better. In spite of trombone getting about equal play time over all the horns as the trumpet, and euph maybe every 2 or 3 weeks, and French horn average of once a month, I’m still known as “The trumpet player”. I posed the question here because I appreciate the experience level of the players here.
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

how many euphonium sites have you seen
https://www.dwerden.com/ <- even has an active forum! :clever:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah, I was just kidding with pointing out that this is a trombone site. But I did try to answer your question. Go with what is most fun for you, because with melodies it doesn't matter.
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Posted here because I respect the trombone experience here, and I’m here to learn more. Play trumpet way more than I want to, euph not near as much as I’d like, but I do enjoy the trombone and would like to use it more outside of regular worship band. Maybe next ensemble I’ll try to get the trombone part and put my grandson on 1st trumpet. Maybe even do a Greensleeve solo on the ‘bone, if my piano player doesn’t protest too much. Grandson would like to do a trio sometime, him on trumpet or euph, daughter on horn, and me on?? Guess will have to find the arrangement first and then make the assignments.

Return to “Performance”