Left Hand Support

Samit2011

Left Hand Support

Post by Samit2011 »

Hey all, I’m looking for options for left hand support. I’ve been using a bullet brace but it hasn’t been doing a lot to add support. I know about the get a grip, but are there any other similar options or is the get a grip the best option.
sacfxdx

Re: Left Hand Support

Post by sacfxdx »

Steve
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

sacfxdx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:57 pm Neotech neogrip

https://www.amazon.com/Neotech-5131001- ... 6067&psc=1
I second the Neotech. I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands, and it allows me to play pain free in my left hand.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I have used the Ergobone when my left shoulder or wrist flared up. It allowed me to recover.

One of the local players uses a left elbow support. It is a sturdy stand with a cushion on top, much like what a tuba player rests the bottom bow on. He puts his elbow on that and the bass trombone sits on top, weightless.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Neo tech.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The neotech is great on some horns, not great on others. I really don't like how it forces your hand to be almost an inch off the line of the slide receiver. On basses I find it to be unusable and I also don't like it on most large tenors. I use mine on my 3B/F and 608.

Leather Specialties strap is great for some instruments- I like it on most of my basses and occasionally on a large tenor. It's simple and cheaper than all the others.

Sheridan Brass Get-A-Grip and the Calder Pips Grip are another take. I prefer my Get-A-Grip on a couple instruments, both Bach-style bass and tenor.

The Rath, Hagmman, Thein, etc. handbrace is also good for some. I don't prefer them on most horns, but on my contra there isn't really a better option.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I use a neo-tech on a XO 1240 bass. It takes some adjustment but it works for me. It’s cheap enough to give it a try. Everyone is different.

Good luck. Finding a working solution is worth the effort.
Steve
Samit2011

Post by Samit2011 »

Thank you all for the responses! I got my hands on the neotech and I don’t like the way that feels, but I have a Calder pips grip on the way and I hope that may help
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

While I was looking for my ideal hand brace for my Yamaha Xeno 822g and Rath R400, I put together a page with my impressions. I ended up using the the NeoTech. Yeah, it took FOREVER to come up with the best working position, but on the other hand, the limits for adjusting it are ... unlimited.

https://5d832781b3df5.site123.me/trombone-braces
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
el2002

Post by el2002 »

I’ve tried the get a grip, rath brace and neotech. The neotech is by far the best option imo.
psybersonic

Post by psybersonic »

Got a Calderpip last week. Works fine, they even knew I'd need a slightly thinner leather to fit the Yamaha 613h .
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

psybersonic wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:57 am Got a Calderpip last week. Works fine, they even knew I'd need a slightly thinner leather to fit the Yamaha 613h .
....from advanced electronic surveillance. "They" are listening over your devices and social media and know your wishes and needs before you even realize them.

;)
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have a cymbal stand that I made a 6 inch circle of wood covered in a towel padding and a furniture fabric sample.
I can put my left elbow on this and take a lot of strain off my left arm. The support at the elbow really lessens the load at the wrist.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Yamaha strap or something similar.
NBischoff

Post by NBischoff »

I use a Sheridan Get-a-Grip on my bass and the Neotech on my tenors. FWIW I was previously using a Neotech on my bass as well but had it fail on me during a performance when the screw connecting the handgrip to the grip clamp gave out. I would definitely caution against using them on heavier instruments.

Return to “Accessories”