Brass exchange

All about making money.
BoomtownRath

Brass exchange

Post by BoomtownRath »

Hi all

I would like to know what are people's general experience with brass exchange. I have being trying to do some business with Doug since before christmas and I'm finding it very difficult to get an answer to a query regarding a trade. He seems like a nice guy when he replies but when I attempt to take things to the next stage, boom! stonewalled.......

Is he so busy? Maybe doing this as a side or 2nd job?

Anyway I've given up at this stage but was curious as to other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Neil.
ithinknot

Re: Brass exchange

Post by ithinknot »

Yeah... I've sent a couple emails in the past, one of which was a straightforward 'I want to buy this, gimme a shipping quote to the UK and please take my money' ...ignored.

It's possible, despite the info on the website, that he doesn't particularly want international sales. It's true that a surprising number of human adults seem confused and indignant about the possibility of customs charges, so he may have been burnt before.

(It's why for any of these transactions I usually include a disclaimer in my initial correspondence - 'I've done this before; I understand there may be customs fees and associated delays'.)

He seems to have plenty of happy domestic customers on here, so that's my only guess.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I think he may be wary of new customers. I had experience like yours until we actually completed a deal. After that he responds to me much more quickly. Just be patient. He has good horns, generally fairly priced, sometimes you can get a real deal. Once he knows you things will go better.

Plus, I think the horn involved in a trade might influence how enthusiastic he is about the trade. For example, I traded him a 78h, which he wanted. If you were to trade him an Ambassador, he might be less enthusiastic.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elow

Post by Elow »

He has never responded to any of my inquiries, i gave up.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Well, things didn’t move too quickly when I was trying a trade. Went better as a straightforward transaction.

That said, I would trust him with any level of horn and any type of sale. But I don’t think he’s terribly interested in trades and figuring that out about us.

Cheers,
Andy
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Try calling him or sending an email to [email protected] . He has never responded to the messages I have sent on the contact us page. He picked up on the phone for me on a Saturday and then had intermittent exchanges via text over the course of a week. Unfortunately we couldn't come to a deal.
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

As I've said I won't be dealing with him regarding a trade, that door is now closed!

He did ask me to call him to discuss things with him but I'm in europe and it's not easy with time zones, email is my preferred method.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve had quite a few dealings Doug over the years.
He always has responded quickly and with lots of info on the horn I`ve been interested in.
I`ve recommended people to him that have been quite satisfied
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Doug Bert has always picked up the phone when I have called. He loves to talk shop and trombone equipment. I also find his prices to be reasonable.

Concerning buying versus trading, I think he knows exactly what his clientele need. If he has two of a particular model and knows that they only sell about once every 18-24 months, there is no reason for him to be interested in taking on a third trombone of that model. That’s just simple business sense.

My recommendation to the OP is to call Doug during regular business hours. He might be out picking up a horn, but you should be able to eventually talk to him.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Oh boy, an international TRADE? My day job deals with purchasing, retailing, etc, and honestly we get a lot of inquiries about trades, and yes, if it's not something we actually want, we usually ignore or say no. With it being an INTERNATIONAL trade? Forget about it. Shipping internationally and dealing with customs is one thing, but having to deal with it in AND out, as well as all of the potential issues that could arise? NOPE.
Last edited by tbonesullivan on Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Doug is a solid guy. He may get busy sometimes just like everybody else. He sells great horns and gets them worked on so that they are tip top before it goes out.

I bought a horn from him. and it was fine.
wetrb

Post by wetrb »

I have dealt with Doug a couple of times. I purchased a trombone (by phone) and a case ( through website). Both transactions were very smooth and I received both items in a matter of days.
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 »

Doug is great! I know his business has grown a lot over the years and he is also a gigging musician. I've had multiple dealings with him and they were all great. Great to chat with and knows his stuff.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Just went by Doug’s house earlier tonight. Plopped something into my hand. Mint Mt Vernon 11/2G. Said I can “borrow “ this until I don’t need it. Stunning piece. Going downstairs to play on it now. Have a double on Monday. Using this on a test run. This is just one of many reasons it’s the only place I buy or trade horns.

Eddie Clark
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’ve had some very pleasant dealings with Doug over the last few days regarding the purchase of some mouthpieces. USPS says the package is on the way and will be delivered tomorrow.

Package arrived. Everything packed and exactly as described.
Last edited by Bach5G on Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robseaman

Post by robseaman »

I have purchased 2 trombones and was very satisfied with horns as well as the service. My only complaint was that I did not sound like Frank Rosolino on my new 1960 6H.
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

robseaman wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:16 am I have purchased 2 trombones and was very satisfied with horns as well as the service. My only complaint was that I did not sound like Frank Rosolino on my new 1960 6H.
Join the club. We have jackets.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

robseaman wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:16 am I have purchased 2 trombones and was very satisfied with horns as well as the service. My only complaint was that I did not sound like Frank Rosolino on my new 1960 6H.
I have 3 6hs now and that also didn't help sounding like Rosolino :idk:

Love the brass exchange website, because it has really nice pictures and information on great trombones...
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

I never did a trade with Brass Exchange but bought 2 trbs and a tuba outright. (Tuba was for my dad). I tend to think Doug balks at trades unless you have a rare gem/closet find to trade - lots more work for him and thinner profit margins, which would be true of a lot of small businesses.

On LinkedIn he is listed as having a non-music day job, so he may be a pretty busy dude.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

I’ve done a number of deals with Doug at the brass exchange. All of my experiences have been really good, the horns are always as described and he usually has a good history on all of them.

I have also done large trade-ins/consignments with multiple trombones, non of which were rare, but all have been in great shape as I tend to be fairly protective of my instruments and keep them as clean as possible.

There have been times where he has had to pass on some of the instruments I’ve had as his experience tells them they won’t move very fast. It is definitely a business, and he feels the deals must work out for both sides. I believe his explanations are mainly based on being conservative as to not create false high expectations.

He is a one man show at the brass exchange and that is not the only thing that takes up his time as he is involved in several things. He does his best to keep up, but like all hard workers, there never seems to be enough hours in the day.

Overall, I’d say if you have the time, realistic expectations of the value of your instrument, and some patience, the experience dealing with him is well worth it. He has always been excessively fair and transparent about every deal we have done, and for me, has been excessively great to work with.
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

My wife has been very intently listening to my play sessions recently and this morning, she absolutely insisted I buy this horn:

https://www.thebrass-exchange.com/conte ... ner-h33535

It's only money and we can't take it with us, so I will be styling for as long as I can pick up a trombone and play.
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

Mr412 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:58 am My wife has been very intently listening to my play sessions recently and this morning, she absolutely insisted I buy this horn:

It's only money and we can't take it with us, so I will be styling for as long as I can pick up a trombone and play.
Now that’s a beautiful horn! Congratulations on that purchase, but it’ll be an awesome player!
hwlentz

Post by hwlentz »

Mr412 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:58 am My wife has been very intently listening to my play sessions recently and this morning, she absolutely insisted I buy this horn:

I knew which one it was before I read or clicked the link…
Trombonjon

Post by Trombonjon »

Did a couple of transactions/purchases last year. Very satisfied-no complaints. To Mr.412: Enjoy it!
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

Thanks, guys! I should be getting it tomorrow, according to FedEx. He shipped it the same day I bought it.

I couldn't have been more pleased with my interaction with Doug. He is a thoroughly pleasant guy who loves to talk trombone talk (and so do I). Yes, he is a little wary of people he does not know. I don't blame him. So am I, in today's world. But he warms up real fast once he knows you are genuine.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Mr412 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:01 am Thanks, guys! I should be getting it tomorrow, according to FedEx. He shipped it the same day I bought it.

I couldn't have been more pleased with my interaction with Doug. He is a thoroughly pleasant guy who loves to talk trombone talk (and so do I). Yes, he is a little wary of people he does not know. I don't blame him. So am I, in today's world. But he warms up real fast once he knows you are genuine.
He definitely wouldn't know me, as I've never dealt with him before, but do you think he'd be interested in selling a Shires bass bone for me? He is a Shires dealer from what I can see. It's a bit of an odd duck as it has dependent Tru-bore valves, the old Pro Select bell that was converted to fit custom components, and a lightweight slide. Great horn if you do a lot of commercial playing.
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

JeffBone44 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:42 pm
Mr412 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:01 am Thanks, guys! I should be getting it tomorrow, according to FedEx. He shipped it the same day I bought it.

He definitely wouldn't know me, as I've never dealt with him before, but do you think he'd be interested in selling a Shires bass bone for me? He is a Shires dealer from what I can see. It's a bit of an odd duck as it has dependent Tru-bore valves, the old Pro Select bell that was converted to fit custom components, and a lightweight slide. Great horn if you do a lot of commercial playing.
I wouldn’t see why not, sounds like an interesting horn. I’d send him an email or give him a call, tell him what you’ve got and where you want to be on it, and he’ll tell you if it’s doable.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

atopper333 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:48 pm
JeffBone44 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:42 pm

I wouldn’t see why not, sounds like an interesting horn. I’d send him an email or give him a call, tell him what you’ve got and where you want to be on it, and he’ll tell you if it’s doable.
Thanks, I’ll give it a try. I’m not that experienced with selling horns on my own, and packing and shipping them.
DanTheMan1289

Post by DanTheMan1289 »

I’ve tried to do business multiple times and never gotten a response, by phone, email, or online message. After so many attempts across so many months, I finally said “F*ck it,” and took my business to another shop.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

DanTheMan1289 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:06 pm I’ve tried to do business multiple times and never gotten a response, by phone, email, or online message. After so many attempts across so many months, I finally said “F*ck it,” and took my business to another shop.
I'll try via online message and email and see what happens. If I don't hear back I can use Dillon Music, as they're close enough for me to drive to.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

I'll try via online message and email and see what happens. If I don't hear back I can use Dillon Music, as they're close enough for me to drive to.
[/quote]

I don't want to steer business away from Doug Bert, but if you have no instrument shipping experience and can drive to Dillon easily enough, Dillon is where you should go. You get to try the horns out too, obviously.

Also, I have been on the giving and receiving end of more than a few shipping semi-disasters, even with carefully packed and padded instruments (OK, one from overseas was very badly packed). There is always some risk there.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Fridge wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:54 pm Just went by Doug’s house earlier tonight. Plopped something into my hand. Mint Mt Vernon 11/2G. Said I can “borrow “ this until I don’t need it. Stunning piece. Going downstairs to play on it now. Have a double on Monday. Using this on a test run. This is just one of many reasons it’s the only place I buy or trade horns.

Eddie Clark
Uhhhhhhhhhh
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Macbone1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:51 am I'll try via online message and email and see what happens. If I don't hear back I can use Dillon Music, as they're close enough for me to drive to.

I don't want to steer business away from Doug Bert, but if you have no instrument shipping experience and can drive to Dillon easily enough, Dillon is where you should go. You get to try the horns out too, obviously.

Also, I have been on the giving and receiving end of more than a few shipping semi-disasters, even with carefully packed and padded instruments (OK, one from overseas was very badly packed). There is always some risk there.
[/quote]

I have to go down to New Jersey in a couple weeks anyway to visit family, so going to Dillon will work out for me. They said that appointments are now needed to try horns and mouthpieces, so I'll make one.
jph

Post by jph »

aasavickas wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:27 am Doug is a solid guy. He may get busy sometimes just like everybody else. He sells great horns and gets them worked on so that they are tip top before it goes out.

I bought a horn from him. and it was fine.
I agree, the integrity is there.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Guys, I would suggest CALLING. I know he gets as many as a 100 or so emails a day from people wanting to sell or trade. He told me the best way is to call. 314-616-1434

Fridge
themoorekid

Post by themoorekid »

I had an incredibly unfortunate experience consigning an expensive instrument with Doug, definitely will not ever use him again and could not recommend him to anyone for that service.

Certainly the only time I have ever been burned by a member of the low brass community in any consignment, sell or purchase interaction.

Craig Moore
Utah Valley University
Westminster College
Southern Utah University
Salt Lake City Freelance
wafeki

Post by wafeki »

Whether trading stories with Doug about his/my years at IU in study with the great Dave Baker, or seeking horn information, or buying/selling, he has always been incredibly helpful and generous with his time. We've never met in person but I consider him a valued friend and a great resource to the trombone community. Steve
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

themoorekid wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:49 am I had an incredibly unfortunate experience consigning an expensive instrument with Doug, definitely will not ever use him again and could not recommend him to anyone for that service.

Certainly the only time I have ever been burned by a member of the low brass community in any consignment, sell or purchase interaction.

Craig Moore
Utah Valley University
Westminster College
Southern Utah University
Salt Lake City Freelance

Details???
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

I've had two experiences. One positive, one not so much.

First time I was after a tuning slide listed on the site but no response from the contact form. I called and was told, "Calling is best." I needed to get the shipping corrected since the default amount for the method was far to high a cost. Long story short, Doug made the adjustment before charging my credit card.

Second time I clicked on a valve set and paid via checkout system. Got an email the following day stating that the item had been "On hold" to an overseas customer and wasn't actually available. To me this is not good business. If it's on hold it shouldn't have been shown as in stock.

I have had very good dealings with Dillon and Brass Ark. Brass Ark is within a reasonable driving distance to me. Dillon has shipped me plenty of goodies with fair prices and were delivered without a glitch.
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Dillon, Brass Ark, Baltimore Brass, and Hickeys have all been really good for me.

Any other good sites I should check out?
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

aasavickas wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:00 pm Dillon, Brass Ark, Baltimore Brass, and Hickeys have all been really good for me.

Any other good sites I should check out?
Horn Guys.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:03 am
themoorekid wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:49 am I had an incredibly unfortunate experience consigning an expensive instrument with Doug, definitely will not ever use him again and could not recommend him to anyone for that service.

Craig Moore
Utah Valley University
Westminster College
Southern Utah University
Salt Lake City Freelance

Details???
Guess not.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I’m in Australia and have had a couple of good experiences with Doug, in buying a used Shires bell and some mouthpieces. Sometimes Od need to resend an email that I thought he hadn’t seen, but he’s always been very generous with his time in answering specific questions about certain horns and parts.

I was looking at a trade (that I didn’t end up going ahead with), and Doug’s offer was very generous and fair and he was upfront about potential shipping and customs costs.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

I’ll put in another +1 for Doug. He’s a busy guy, and this is his side business… I’ve bought 2 horns from him, including one that was a trade. It took a few days to hammer things out, but he was honest, thoughtful, and friendly.

The first horn I bought from him was a nice, fairly expensive bass…he noticed the second valve sticking a bit, so he made sure to send it back to his tech for an adjustment before sending it out to me. That struck me as a very conscientious thing to do. Later, I realized that the actual reason for the slow action may have been the previous owner putting a couple of aftermarket stop bumpers on that were a little too large (on Hagmann valves, the stop bumpers are on the part that moves).

The second was a vintage Bach 36 that is one of the liveliest horns I’ve played. I asked him how it played, and he took a day or two until he had time to play it side-by-side with a few other 36’s, and he gave me a pretty accurate report.
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
cb56

Post by cb56 »

Just bought a horn from Doug.(Conn 78H)
Very positive experience. I live close enough where I could drive to his place and play the horn before I bought it. (Plus a few others) I hadn't played in about 7 years and he took time to show me and play along with me some chop building exercises. Nothing but positive things to say about Doug.
Last edited by cb56 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Doug is great. Solid guys. Great horns in good shape. He knows his stuff and is helpful.

I've bought multiple horns from him and am planning a visit.

Tony
BrassExchange

Post by BrassExchange »

Reading through old posts and saw this from Post by calcbone » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:56 am. Just to clarify in case anyone is interested: The Brass Exchange was never a side business. The first few years after starting (nearly 14 years ago). I had to work at a day job outside of music to make ends meet. But, I left the day job in 2014 and it has been full time since 2014. When I started the business in 2010 it was never intended to be a side hustle or a hobby, but actually a legit business. It took 3-4 years to gain momentum. Today, My side business is playing gigs and teaching private lessons. But it is all in music.

Return to “Music Business”