8vb????

Fireinthebones

8vb????

Post by Fireinthebones »

In measures 17 and 18 the Db and C are in parentheses saying 8vb. What confuses me is how in other parts of the piece such as measure 59 it has the low Eb with an in the staff Eb in parentheses if the player can’t play the low Eb. But for 17 they expect the player to play a Low Db or a pedal Db which makes no since as if someone can’t play a Eb just bellow the staff I can’t understand how they could play a Db.

Why did they write it like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James
EdwardSolomon

Re: 8vb????

Post by EdwardSolomon »

Judging by what's in 59-60, it looks as though that's a copyist error, as there are E flats in the staff in parentheses, implying that the composer or arranger didn't necessarily expect a bass trombone to be available, so made these allowances.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

All those notes are probably meant to be played up an octave if the player has no valve and not down an octave. It can then be performed on a straight tenor. Must be a miss in print.

/Tom
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

imsevimse wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:44 am All those notes are probably meant to be played up an octave if the player has no valve and not down an octave. It can then be performed on a straight tenor. Must be a miss in print.

/Tom
Yes, should be an optional 8va, not 8vb
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Editing errors are not unusual
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I bet what happened is the original had the higher octave with an optional 8vb and the editor switched it to be the lower octave and forgot to make it 8va
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

Ha! I programmed that same chart for my high school jazz band about 2011-2012, I believe, a few years before I retired. That brought back from memory a discussion that I had with my bass trombonist at the time, who brought that marking to my attention during initial rehearsals. I told him it was an editing error and just to play as written.

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”