Comparisons: Shires B1.5L: Brass Ark NY50: Bras Ark BH62

Bonemaster

Comparisons: Shires B1.5L: Brass Ark NY50: Bras Ark BH62

Post by Bonemaster »

Good morning,

Looking for some feedback as to the differences between these pipes.
I have been playing the Shires (it is the Shires that works best for me). I have the BA BH65 in seamed nickel but not much playing time. Have not tried the NY50.
Sure would appreciate some 'based on my experience' comparisons of the Shires to either or both of the others, as well as between the BA BH62 and the BA NY50.

Thanks!

Bob
Shires 6278N slide
muschem

Re: Comparisons: Shires B1.5L: Brass Ark NY50: Bras Ark BH62

Post by muschem »

I first picked up a bass a few months ago to double, so this comes with a large grain of salt.

I have both the BH62 and the NY50 in seamed yellow brass. The BH62 plays nice and focused, and gets a good edge to the sound pretty quickly for me. It seems like a great commercial pipe. The NY50 seems more open in comparison, but without losing the core. I've been playing the NY50 lately, and I enjoy it. I have a MV50 on order to compare.

I haven't played a Shires bass pipe, so I can't offer a comparison to those. But, I have compared the BH62 and NY50 to sterling B1 and B2 pipes from Edwards. The Edwards are very stable for me, and silver pipes tend to favor the fundamental (less overtones). Neither are better or worse... just different.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I can comment on the NY50 and the Shires. The NY50 is shorter than a standard length Shires pipe - much shorter than a Long pipe - and more open than the 1.5.

The BA MV50 feels comparable to a standard length B1.5, but the slot feels more flexible to me than the Shires.
Bonemaster

q

Post by Bonemaster »

muschem wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:48 am I first picked up a bass a few months ago to double, so this comes with a large grain of salt.

I have both the BH62 and the NY50 in seamed yellow brass. The BH62 plays nice and focused, and gets a good edge to the sound pretty quickly for me. It seems like a great commercial pipe. The NY50 seems more open in comparison, but without losing the core. I've been playing the NY50 lately, and I enjoy it. I have a MV50 on order to compare.

I haven't played a Shires bass pipe, so I can't offer a comparison to those. But, I have compared the BH62 and NY50 to sterling B1 and B2 pipes from Edwards. The Edwards are very stable for me, and silver pipes tend to favor the fundamental (less overtones). Neither are better or worse... just different.
Muschem, thanks for the info. I am NOT an orchestral player but play bass (in order of frequency)in big bands, church, community concert bands and occasionally in a local orchestra. That said, how easy is it to make teh NY50 useful in a commercial setting? Flip side, how easy is it to use the BH62 in a legit setting? See the question- which one is likely to b e more versatile if I'm only going to use 1 pipe? Thanks!
Bonemaster

Post by Bonemaster »

GabrielRice wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:20 am I can comment on the NY50 and the Shires. The NY50 is shorter than a standard length Shires pipe - much shorter than a Long pipe - and more open than the 1.5.

The BA MV50 feels comparable to a standard length B1.5, but the slot feels more flexible to me than the Shires.
Gabe, good to see you post and chime in for me. I tryst you are well!
So, Shires v BA MV50- similar FEEL, but different (easier?) What about slotting, also easier?
Which is easier to center the sound and get projection?

As always, I appreciate your comments. You were so helpful to me when you were at the factory and made my early purchases great!
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I prefer the MV50 to the Shires B1.5, but my go-to is the B2 pipe.
muschem

Re: q

Post by muschem »

Bonemaster wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:15 pm
muschem wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:48 am I first picked up a bass a few months ago to double, so this comes with a large grain of salt.

Muschem, thanks for the info. I am NOT an orchestral player but play bass (in order of frequency)in big bands, church, community concert bands and occasionally in a local orchestra. That said, how easy is it to make teh NY50 useful in a commercial setting? Flip side, how easy is it to use the BH62 in a legit setting? See the question- which one is likely to b e more versatile if I'm only going to use 1 pipe? Thanks!
Well, I'd imagine that the number of players who've used a Bach 50 for commercial styles over the years is likely fairly large, so a NY50 or MV50 pipe should be plenty flexible to cover those styles in the right hands. Conversely, I've played the BH62 for some orchestral repertoire, and it has worked ok in that context (with the caveat that my definition of "ok" as an amateur doubler on bass is likely somewhat different than others').

The leadpipe is just one component in the system, and finding the right balance together with the rest of your equipment would be key to reproducing your sound concept in any given genre. The more one component in the system goes toward an extreme, the more challenging it might become to find that balance with the rest of the components. But, neither the BH62 nor the NY50 strike me as particularly extreme (again, large grain of salt here as a newcomer to bass).
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra

Return to “Accessories”