How do you pronounce "Cimera?"

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Kdanielsen

How do you pronounce "Cimera?"

Post by Kdanielsen »

How do you pronounce Jaroslav Cimera's last name? My students always ask me.

I've been saying with a "ch" like it's Italian, but I'm not sure if that's right. If anyone knew him, or was active in the area (Chicago, I think) I'd love to know!

Thanks!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Burgerbob

Re: How do you pronounce "Cimera?"

Post by Burgerbob »

With a sh sound on the front.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Cimera is Bohemian likely from what is now known as the Czech Republic. An online pronounciation guide for Czech states: "c is pronounced like in “Streets.”, so I vote for pronouncing it like "Tsimera'.
RCimera

Post by RCimera »

We pronounce it "Sim-air-a." Others pronounce it "Suh-mare-a." I'm not sure how Jerry pronounced it. He was my father's cousin. So he probably pronounced it like that side of the family (Sim-air-a).

Also, somebody said that Jerry was Czechoslovakian. The family always considered themselves "Bohemian" (they were from Pilsen), even though they listed themselves as Austrian when they came to the country.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If your family immigrated before World War I, that whole area was called "Austria-Hungary", which included Austria, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia. Most immigrants from this area identified as either Austrian or Hungarian, probably depending on whether they spoke German or Hungarian as their natural language. Bohemia and Moravia were both included in Czechoslovakia at the end of World War I.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RCimera

Post by RCimera »

Correct. They came over in the early 1900s. Jerry and my father's generation were all very proud to be "Bohemian" and didn't like to be called Czech. I believe they are even buried in a Bohemian cemetery outside Chicago.
BGuttman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:37 am If your family immigrated before World War I, that whole area was called "Austria-Hungary", which included Austria, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia. Most immigrants from this area identified as either Austrian or Hungarian, probably depending on whether they spoke German or Hungarian as their natural language. Bohemia and Moravia were both included in Czechoslovakia at the end of World War I.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

RCimera wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:15 pmJerry and my father's generation were all very proud to be "Bohemian" and didn't like to be called Czech. I believe they are even buried in a Bohemian cemetery outside Chicago.
Those of us who grew up in the United States often don't understand how important distinctions like that are to some people from other parts of the world.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

RCimera wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:47 am We pronounce it "Sim-air-a." Others pronounce it "Suh-mare-a." I'm not sure how Jerry pronounced it. He was my father's cousin. So he probably pronounced it like that side of the family (Sim-air-a).

Also, somebody said that Jerry was Czechoslovakian. The family always considered themselves "Bohemian" (they were from Pilsen), even though they listed themselves as Austrian when they came to the country.
Wow, now that's hearing from the source! Never expect to get real definitive answers here, but TC comes through this time!
RCimera

Post by RCimera »

Can any of you explain to me Jerry's contribution to the field? I don't know much about that side of the family. I just knew that he (and his brother James) were "famous" trombones. What were they famous for?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

RCimera wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:02 pm Can any of you explain to me Jerry's contribution to the field? I don't know much about that side of the family. I just knew that he (and his brother James) were "famous" trombones. What were they famous for?
Jerry was a noted teacher in the Chicago area. You can find a method book by him on IMSLP.

One of his "students" was Tommy Dorsey, who used to stop by for a lesson when he was nearby. By this time Tommy was already famous with his own band but he still liked getting somebody to listen and comment.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

And my teacher Art Sares was also one of Jerry's students.
RCimera

Post by RCimera »

I'm glad he was so well thought of. I'm a teacher myself. Though I can't play a note.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Well it's really nice to hear from you, an actual descendant. Maybe you should start playing trombone yourself...

One of my very first books was the Cimera - Hovey Method by Jaroslav Cimera and Nilo W. Hovey. Now to find out who Hovey was.... ?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
RCimera

Post by RCimera »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:44 pm Well it's really nice to hear from you, an actual descendant. Maybe you should start playing trombone yourself...
I wish I knew more about him. It's a shame I didn't ask more questions when my grandfather was alive. A lot of history gets lost between generations.

Two of my brothers played trombone. But they didn't quite live up to the family name.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

At one time, Schilke produced a three models of "Cimera-Sares" mouthpieces. The Cimera-Sares #1, #2, and #3 eventually became the Schilke 43A, 45B, and 47B. Pretty sure they go back to the early days of Schilke's.
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:44 pm Well it's really nice to hear from you, an actual descendant. Maybe you should start playing trombone yourself...

One of my very first books was the Cimera - Hovey Method by Jaroslav Cimera and Nilo W. Hovey. Now to find out who Hovey was.... ?
Here you go: Nilo W. Hovey
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I still use my copy of Cimera’s “55 Phrasing Studies.” It’s in my warm-up rotation.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Sdoubler

Post by Sdoubler »

Allow me to again share these Cimera discs I uploaded to YouTube a few years back:

I studied with Scott Bentall, who studied Cimera's approach with Art Sares...

Very nice to hear from Rcimera!
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Sdoubler wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:06 pm Allow me to again share these Cimera discs I uploaded to YouTube a few years back:

Any insight to his approach you can share?

Thanks,
Michael
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

In F# ?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

norbie2018 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:13 pm

Thanks,
Michael
His style is very reminiscent of Arthur Pryor. It was a style that was popular 100-140 years ago. If you try this on a Solo and Ensemble nowadays you will get poor grades. We don't play like that any more. Still, he is showing his full mastery of Arban's.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I was hoping the poster could give insight to his pedagogy, as, if I read correctly, he studied with someone might know.
Sdoubler

Post by Sdoubler »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:33 pmIn F# ?

My old Curtis Mathes hi-fi might spin a bit fast!
Sdoubler

Post by Sdoubler »

norbie2018 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:13 pm
Sdoubler wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:06 pm Allow me to again share these Cimera discs I uploaded to YouTube a few years back:

Thanks,
Michael

I'd have to dig up my lesson notes - what I remember most interesting off the top of my head was that nearly everything was played with vibrato, starting with slow ascending scales. "Violin players do it, why shouldn't we?"

It was a different time with different aesthetics to be sure!

Return to “Musicians”