Where can I have a mouthpiece copied?

Shumanbean

Where can I have a mouthpiece copied?

Post by Shumanbean »

I have a NY Bach mouthpiece, maybe from the 40's. It's not numbered, but maybe a 7c. I like it lot, and live in fear of losing it. Is there a mouthpiece maker who could copy it, possibly out of bronze, and then silver plated?

Thanks.
GabrielRice

Re: Where can I have a mouthpiece copied?

Post by GabrielRice »

There are a few. Technologies they use vary. The top of my list would likely be Pickett Brass, which is actually not that far from you in Lexington, KY. https://www.pickettblackburn.com/
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve had a mouthpiece copied and a few other alterations done by Ken Titmus https://ktcustommouthpiece.com/
Ken does amazing work and he`s fast. I would definitely check him out.
He copied a friend of mines original Minick 5 and the copy is identical and the workmanship is outstanding
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Vennture would be worth looking at. They have a "library" of pieces that they have scanned, and could potentially narrow in on what yours is exactly
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

Greg Black will add your mouthpiece’s dimensions to their records and then you can order a new mouthpiece with this exact dimensions/specs from them at any time starting at $409.
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

I believe giddings also does exact copies (outer and inner complete copies) starting at about $700. They will copy all the inner dimensions on one of their blanks for a much lower cost.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

TromboneSam wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:50 pm I believe giddings also does exact copies (outer and inner complete copies) starting at about $700. They will copy all the inner dimensions on one of their blanks for a much lower cost.
It’s actually ~$1200 if you want the backbone copied too. The cheaper option is the rim and cup. I don’t see the shape mentioned in the latter option but it is implied. I also haven’t had my coffee yet.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Vennture is $255, and the inner dimensions including backbore seem to be exact. They will do the blank too but it costs more. I'd just use their standard blank.

Plus in addition to the copy you get the scan data and can change up whatever you want.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Matt K wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:29 am
TromboneSam wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:50 pm I believe giddings also does exact copies (outer and inner complete copies) starting at about $700. They will copy all the inner dimensions on one of their blanks for a much lower cost.
It’s actually ~$1200 if you want the backbone copied too. The cheaper option is the rim and cup. I don’t see the shape mentioned in the latter option but it is implied. I also haven’t had my coffee yet.
I don't understand this. We're talking about copies yet someone has to pay Giddings $1200 to have something done that's not actually a copy? There can't be options or it's not a copy, correct?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

WGWTR180 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:41 am I don't understand this. We're talking about copies yet someone has to pay Giddings $1200 to have something done that's not actually a copy? There can't be options or it's not a copy, correct?
I did a bit of searching for mouthpiece copying services a while back -- copying backbores usually means that you need to create a unique reamer, which is not cheap. So most makers opt to use the reamers they have, even if they are copying the cup and rim with CNC and a ruby probe.

I don't know how Vennture is doing their backbores but they aren't making one off reamers.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The $700ish initial price is a copy of the internal specs (and outer rim shape) and the $1200 is a complete copy (implying exterior shape I suppose). So one can copy the cup and put one of the existing back bores in for cheaper, likely for the reason Harrison pointed out.

I suspect that they’ve listed this price because they would get requests and put a price on it that they’re legitimately willing to do the work for. In the time it takes to do the scan, put the labor in to program the machine, and produce the piece they probably could make 6 mouthpieces and they also likely have a backlog of work much like every manufacturer does these days.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

ktcustommouthpiece.com
Those prices are outrageous
Give Ken a call
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:51 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:41 am I don't understand this. We're talking about copies yet someone has to pay Giddings $1200 to have something done that's not actually a copy? There can't be options or it's not a copy, correct?
I did a bit of searching for mouthpiece copying services a while back -- copying backbores usually means that you need to create a unique reamer, which is not cheap. So most makers opt to use the reamers they have, even if they are copying the cup and rim with CNC and a ruby probe.

I don't know how Vennture is doing their backbores but they aren't making one off reamers.
Right. I suspect the backbore is the most difficult section to copy. But if I were to have a copy made my expectations would need to be realistic as to what I'll be getting back. I would also insist that the outer dimensions(cup shape) be copied as weight distribution has a lot to do with how a mouthpiece plays.
One is taking a chance but if I were to have a vintage mouthpiece copied I'd be willing to spend up to a certain amount. But $1200? Absolutely no freakin' way.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah I think the Vennture copy that includes the full blank shape is ~$350

$1200 is ludicrous
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

Here’s the link to the GW website to clear up any postulation :)

https://www.gwmouthpieces.com/products/ ... uplication
Shumanbean

Post by Shumanbean »

Hey,
Thanks for responding, everyone.
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

James New is doing copy work for me right now and is altering the rim per my specifications (I had a mouthpiece that I loved but hurt me to play).

$175 in silver plate, but he said he would only be able to do it if he had a backbore tool that matched my current piece, which he did.

Return to “Mouthpieces”