Bass Trombonists Original Motion Soundtrack

AlexBassBone

Bass Trombonists Original Motion Soundtrack

Post by AlexBassBone »

What mouthpiece do the bass trombonists who record the Original Motion Soundtrack BSOs use?
Does anyone know a trombonist who records and can verify?
Do they usually use big or small mouthpieces?
Obviously it's something very personal, but surely they follow some custom and topic

Thanks!
hornbuilder

Re: Bass Trombonists Original Motion Soundtrack

Post by hornbuilder »

Just like in every other area of trombone playing, the studio players use the equipment that gives them the results they need. There are no trends one way or the other.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
AlexBassBone

Post by AlexBassBone »

Sure, that's it! It was simply to open a debate about what you thought or if you knew people who dedicated themselves to recording, then you would know what mouthpieces they use.

Do you think that due to the volume that the bass trombone is heard in the BSO, they would use large-caliber mouthpieces, since they sound super loud and heartbreaking? (ignoring that many times they are doubled or there is a contrabass trombone reinforcing them)

Thanks!
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

From publicly available information, some common sense and some direct contact that I have to very very experienced studio players:
- they don't necessarily need to be especially loud, but need to come across well on the microphone which seems to require a well focused and articulated sound and reliable response
- they typically play a broad range of styles, so their equipment needs to be flexible
- most are doubling multiple instruments and are not exclusively bass trombonists

This logically leads to most of them playing not too extreme equipment. Some artist models that I am aware of are more or less medium sized, e g the Schilke Reichenbach, (former) Kanstul and other makers' GR models or the AR Resonance stuff that Alan Kaplan uses. There are certainly outliers/people that play very large or rather small stuff!

BTW: Our/MST Studio mouthpieces are partly related to some of these mouthpieces. Pm for details.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Lots of horns are used in the studios. Nothing really extreme in any direction. Some big pieces, some small.

In studio land, you want to be consistent above almost everything else, so playing something with easy tendencies is always a goal, not necessarily the most head-turning sound.

Something that might sound louder at a lower actual volume is also a plus, means less work over a long studio day.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
AlexBassBone

Post by AlexBassBone »

MStarke wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:13 pm From publicly available information, some common sense and some direct contact that I have to very very experienced studio players:
- they don't necessarily need to be especially loud, but need to come across well on the microphone which seems to require a well focused and articulated sound and reliable response
- they typically play a broad range of styles, so their equipment needs to be flexible
- most are doubling multiple instruments and are not exclusively bass trombonists

This logically leads to most of them playing not too extreme equipment. Some artist models that I am aware of are more or less medium sized, e g the Schilke Reichenbach, (former) Kanstul and other makers' GR models or the AR Resonance stuff that Alan Kaplan uses. There are certainly outliers/people that play very large or rather small stuff!

BTW: Our/MST Studio mouthpieces are partly related to some of these mouthpieces. Pm for details.
hello! ok, I wrote you a private message on instagram
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

BSO=Bass trombone????
AlexBassBone

Post by AlexBassBone »

hello! No hahaha

My fault, I have done the translation wrong, the habit of writing it like that.

BSO (Banda Sonora Original), in Spanish is the acronym for Original Soundtrack, the correct translation is OST...🤪 Sorry!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

And here I thought he was talking about my local orchestra (Boston Symphony). ;)
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
AlexBassBone

Post by AlexBassBone »

hahaha true, it could also be this🤣🤣
MaxPirone

Post by MaxPirone »

In LA studios for years was Minnick L
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

MaxPirone wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:41 am In LA studios for years was Minnick L
Still a great piece for commercial playing, and from all I've heard the Ferguson replica holds well against the originals. It gives a nice focused sound with a bit of edge, and is very comfy on the face with the big rim. It's a smaller throat than a lot of "modern" mouthpieces.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
MaxPirone

Post by MaxPirone »

Ferguson is not like minnick but a quite well copy

Return to “Mouthpieces”