Back at it after a very long absence

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
papabird

Back at it after a very long absence

Post by papabird »

About 8 years ago I sold the trombone that I bought with my summer job back in 1982 (King 2104 4B with F-attachment). It was a great instrument.

After family, kids, jobs, then divorce got in the way, I hadn't played it in about 7 years. So I thought that it should go to somebody that will get some use our of it.

For the last six months or so I have been getting the itch to get a horn and start playing again.

A couple of weeks I decided to just finally do it and ending up purchasing a new Yamaha YSL-640. It is a medium-bore horn with f-attachment. A really nice horn.

I picked up the Arban method book to get my chops back in shape and have been playing almost daily. I've really missed it.

Hope to learn plenty here.

Thanks
Roger
Kingfan

Re: Back at it after a very long absence

Post by Kingfan »

Welcome back to the brotherhood of the trombone!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
SGH

Post by SGH »

Welcome! My horns had been in the case for years except pulling out the euphonium for Tuba Christmas. This winter I kept playing a bit every day (mostly 3bf) and found a community band to join. They gave me an enthusiastic welcome. This forum is a great resource.
papabird

Post by papabird »

I've been lurking here since before I picked up my new horn. Definitely some wisdom here.
JKno

Post by JKno »

Welcome!
I took a lot of time off (32 years) For me it was too long, I didn't remember anything. I started from scratch. It has been a wonderful and rewarding journey for me and others coming back. The knowledge base here is incredible as is the helpful nature of those that actively post.
I'm looking at ditching my 607F for a ysl-640, nice horn!
RichardDavenport

Post by RichardDavenport »

Hi there,

I'm Back after about a 40 year Hiatus! Played through College, then went in the Navy. For a while, I would pick up my Horn and play around a little at home while not deployed or in a school, etc. It was a nice big bore Olds Opera ... Eventually, chops decayed to the point that the ideas in my head would just not come out of the horn ... tone sucked and noticed myself choking off notes in my throat ... so frustrating. About that time, my nephew was ready move up from his student instrument, so I passed it on.

Several months ago, I started hanging out at an open mic night in the area ...goofing around as a beginner guitarist and met a trumpeter who plays regularly. Got the bug to start back.

Have fun!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Wow, you guys make the little 5 year break I had after college sound like child's play. Then again, I did play occasionally during that time. Keep at it!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I think many of us here have taken several years off. I was off for 10 myself. Welcome back, and start playing with others as soon as you can. You'll improve faster and love it even more.
Neumen

Post by Neumen »

I am back at it after an almost 20 year break. Just started practicing daily a week ago.

I appreciate all the knowledge on this site. I’ve learned a lot as I prepared to get back in the groove.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!
papabird

Post by papabird »

After getting my new horn I jumped right in and played with two band in a New Horizons group this spring. After that there was a Celebration of Life for my former high-school music teacher. Former students from the early 70s to the mid 90s got together to play 5 pieces from our past. Some of those people hadn't touched a horn in 40 years, some were still active.
The concert turned out great!

Now I am playing with my city's concert band. Loving it!
dwcarder

Post by dwcarder »

I, too, came back to playing trombone this summer in the community ensemble run by the local university after a 15 break due to having kids and a day job with some travel. There were people in the group that I still knew!

I had figured it was going to be a challenge getting my chops up to par (and I've mostly survived), but I completely underestimated the physical and ergonomic aspects of holding an awkward large bore tenor w/ F attachment during 2 hour rehearsals twice a week. As it turns out, I also had aged during those 15 years.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

dwcarder wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:47 pm As it turns out, I also had aged during those 15 years.
:horror:
David123

Post by David123 »

All the best! Way more to go.

Return to “News & Announcements”