Frustrated with Shires Q36 Rotors

alagrange

Frustrated with Shires Q36 Rotors

Post by alagrange »

I seem to have an issue with corrosion in my Shires Q36YR. I bought this horn in August and it was listed as a Demo horn. It seems that the slightest touch of corosion on these valves cause them to randomly lock up. I oil them regulary and have taken them apart several times. Each time I have cleaned out slight corrosion and it gets better for a little while. I have recently taken everything apart and given the bell section a bath. I guess we'll see how long that buys me. At this point, I'm thinking about trading/selling it for something else. What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

Side note: I followed the same procedure that I did with the Shires on my Bach 42G, which I hadn't cleaned much (and worked great when I took it apart) and it works great afterwords.
King Cleveland 605, Bach 6 1/2 AL, King 11M
Bach 42G F Trigger Tenor, Bach 5G
Yamaha YBL-613G Silver plated, Yamaha Doug Yeo Signature mouthpiece, Schilke 58, Bach 1 1/2G
Burgerbob

Re: Frustrated with Shires Q36 Rotors

Post by Burgerbob »

Sounds like they weren't properly finished. A good tech can fit and lap them.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

This is a familiar story. There is a thing as valves that are just too tight.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

hyperbolica wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:45 pm This is a familiar story. There is a thing as valves that are just too tight.
Yep, and it can happen with any maker. A visit to a tech should be able to solve the problem permanently.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Elow

Post by Elow »

I had the same problem with the Q36 axials, any gunk build up and i’d have to clean it, normally 2 a week just to keep them moving. I thought it was an axial problem, switched over to rotors, now back to instrument innovation axials and i find myself cleaning my valves once every two weeks. Definitely get it worked on.

Return to “Maintenance”