Wish there was a quicker way to get verified

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
Dago

Wish there was a quicker way to get verified

Post by Dago »

I’d like to respond to a classified post but can’t view photos or PM.
BGuttman

Re: Wish there was a quicker way to get verified

Post by BGuttman »

Sorry, but we had problems with 'bots that would get registered and flood the forum with ads for all kinds of ridiculous stuff like male enhancement pills, Russian cement factories, bogus high end goods, etc. As a result we went to first a 2 post and now a 3 post requirement for "full membership".

I wish we could do otherwise, but if we let everybody in with one post we'd be swamped with junk.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Dago

Post by Dago »

Understood. Thanks!
JWTN

Post by JWTN »

I just found the three post requirement. Thanks!
kdsstg

Post by kdsstg »

Piggybacking on this to get my third. Thanks!
patbone

Post by patbone »

Been on and off this site for around a year now, but have never commented. Decided I should start now so I can see classified posts again since I'm getting the "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." alert.

Thanks!

PA
BasiestBern

Post by BasiestBern »

I'll piggy back for verification as well
tincanbanjo

Post by tincanbanjo »

Me three!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

tincanbanjo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:09 pm Me three!
Speaking of three, you need one more post to be verified ;)
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Jackjack

Post by Jackjack »

I want also verification:)
TomWest

Post by TomWest »

Speaking of getting verified, this will be post #1. I’ve been lurking for a while… So I’ll go legit now.
studiohorn

Post by studiohorn »

Just wish there was a tab of the verification req’s but glad I found this!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

There is only one requirement: make three posts that are approved by a moderator.

There' a sticky in the Announcements section:
viewtopic.php?t=41

I've thoughtabout making a bot or something that sends you a PM right away, but one of the things that is restricted is PMs, so that actually wouldn't help since new people wouldn't be able to see it.
ArnoldTheEgger

Post by ArnoldTheEgger »

Thank you Bruce for the Information.
MCLisle

Post by MCLisle »

I joined Trombonechat after purchasing my first trombone 2 weeks ago, and I am hoping to get verified so that I can see the photographs that have been posted in some of the threads I am reading.

This is my second post so far...

Thank you for helping me get to my goal ;-)
BZP3I

Post by BZP3I »

Hi all together, I am new to trombone chat and this is my second post to get verified.
The first one was in „Modification & Repair“ to the topic „RadialFlow“ valves.

Many regards from Germany
Martin
jrdeeds

Post by jrdeeds »

Hello from Iowa. Just posting here to get my second post. I'm a founding member of the Central Iowa Wind Ensemble and play with several other groups on occasion. Primarily bass trombone, but am working up my tenor chops these days as well.
tepposal

Post by tepposal »

I just registered yesterday and I'm pretty sure the instruction said you'll need two posts for full membership.
From the forum I learnt that you actually need now three posts.
Maybe the admins could update this info in the instructions?

(My second post)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I’ve been trying to lock down where it says two for a long time now. I thought I caught all of the instances. Do you remember where it said two?
tepposal

Post by tepposal »

I think it was on the page when you register and input all the info.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Interesting thanks for letting me know going to try to find that now
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

tepposal wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:59 am I think it was on the page when you register and input all the info.
Yes, I saw it there yesterday. Three mentions:
This is a spambot prevention measure. Please answer the following question, not an email address: What position is D Natural (the middle position of the bass clef staff)? Please include the "st", "nd" etc. such that if it is in 11th position, you put 11th instead of 11. NOTE: You are not a full member until you have 2 posts approved by a moderator. Your posts will be invisible until they are approved. After the first two approvals, your posts will be visible automatically. IF YOU MAKE 5 POSTS PRIOR TO HAVING 2 APPROVED, YOU WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY BANNED. (This is a spam prevention measure that is, unfortunately, a necessity).
Looiz

Post by Looiz »

Thanks for posting that about the spam prevention policy. I wasn’t sure how to get back to that to verify the 3 approved post. I’ll be sure to use the search function from now on.
Blowing

Post by Blowing »

I suppose I'd better start piggy backing too.
Poor old pig, must be overloaded by now. :-)
mark10450

Post by mark10450 »

Well I'm gonna throw my weight on that poor pig too it seems, it's surely gonna be suffering now.
Ventilbasun

Post by Ventilbasun »

I think one more trombonist on the pig won't do that much of a difference at this point
petroben

Post by petroben »

"Looks like it's time to join the piggybacking party! Hope the pig doesn't mind the extra load. 🐷😄"
8thnote181

Post by 8thnote181 »

I am here to piggyback so I can upgrade my horn. Hopefully this post comes with bacon.
dpsychs

Post by dpsychs »

So I have two approved posts, and have commented on another chain (the one about David Vining) twice in attempt to get my third, but neither of them have been approved, even after a few days. I have been thoroughly enjoying reading about various topics, but of course am not able to search or see pictures, etc., because I am not approved yet. Can someone pretty please approve this post so I can be a full-fledged member?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If you keep posting without being approved it’ll start auto denying you. Taking a look into your account now
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

dpsychs wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:48 am So I have two approved posts, and have commented on another chain (the one about David Vining) twice in attempt to get my third, but neither of them have been approved, even after a few days. I have been thoroughly enjoying reading about various topics, but of course am not able to search or see pictures, etc., because I am not approved yet. Can someone pretty please approve this post so I can be a full-fledged member?
Yeah that’s what happened. Go ahead and try it now. Im not a huge fan of how phpBB handles that aspect but its unfortunately the best method we have at the moment given the excessive amount of bot traffic we get
dpsychs

Post by dpsychs »

Matt K wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:56 am
dpsychs wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:48 am So I have two approved posts, and have commented on another chain (the one about David Vining) twice in attempt to get my third, but neither of them have been approved, even after a few days. I have been thoroughly enjoying reading about various topics, but of course am not able to search or see pictures, etc., because I am not approved yet. Can someone pretty please approve this post so I can be a full-fledged member?
Yeah that’s what happened. Go ahead and try it now. Im not a huge fan of how phpBB handles that aspect but its unfortunately the best method we have at the moment given the excessive amount of bot traffic we get
Thank you thank you thank you!
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:10 am
I wish we could do otherwise, but if we let everybody in with one post we'd be swamped with junk.
Thanks for doing this, Bruce.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Mussonl

Post by Mussonl »

I've been trying to figure out how to private message, do you need to be verified for that? This will be my second anyway!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You need 3 posts.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Mussonl

Post by Mussonl »

Ah! That will be why I couldn't find it then! Thank you!
AleaD

Post by AleaD »

It's too bad that the approval process has to be so time consuming for the admins. Maybe the forum software will allow for an easier process one of these days.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

AleaD wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:28 am It's too bad that the approval process has to be so time consuming for the admins. Maybe the forum software will allow for an easier process one of these days.
It's only going to get worse. The problem is that scammers will even figure out - by hand if they need to - something intelligible to write. That's why we had to bump from 2 to 3, to force everyone to re-prove that they were human, or at least knew something about trombones. We had a spate of incidents where people had attempted scams. It's also the reason the RSS feed is turned off for classifieds. People would use the feed and contact just about anyone who posted an ad, in an attempt to scam anyone using the classifieds.

I had an idea that I hadn't had time to think about implementation that would give people a "verified" badge like I have (I'm currently the only verified member of the forum :lol: ). The idea is that maybe we charge new members something like ~$5 to get the verified badge, and one of the mods physically calls them to talk about trombones for a few minutes... and only these people would get access to the classifieds. Like Twitter verified but... meaningful.
JubyChan

Post by JubyChan »

Yeah i want to look at some photos someone posted so here i am making a post so i can view them. I have a vintage case that reeks of musty grossness but i saw someone revamped their musty case so im hoping i can do the same and view their tutorial
JimboFB

Post by JimboFB »

Matt K wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:54 am
AleaD wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:28 am It's too bad that the approval process has to be so time consuming for the admins. Maybe the forum software will allow for an easier process one of these days.
It's only going to get worse. The problem is that scammers will even figure out - by hand if they need to - something intelligible to write. That's why we had to bump from 2 to 3, to force everyone to re-prove that they were human, or at least knew something about trombones. We had a spate of incidents where people had attempted scams. It's also the reason the RSS feed is turned off for classifieds. People would use the feed and contact just about anyone who posted an ad, in an attempt to scam anyone using the classifieds.

I had an idea that I hadn't had time to think about implementation that would give people a "verified" badge like I have (I'm currently the only verified member of the forum :lol: ). The idea is that maybe we charge new members something like ~$5 to get the verified badge, and one of the mods physically calls them to talk about trombones for a few minutes... and only these people would get access to the classifieds. Like Twitter verified but... meaningful.
You’ll need more than a few minutes with most people on here
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Guilty as charged :lol:
SlydeMe

Post by SlydeMe »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:10 am Sorry, but we had problems with 'bots that would get registered and flood the forum with ads for all kinds of ridiculous stuff like male enhancement pills, Russian cement factories, bogus high end goods, etc. As a result we went to first a 2 post and now a 3 post requirement for "full membership".

Are you able to change your password after the three post minimum?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

SlydeMe wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:41 am

Are you able to change your password after the three post minimum?
You should be.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Password changes are possible at any point. If you have issues feel free to message me.
stevesuminski

Post by stevesuminski »

Just trying to get my third post in so I can send pms.

Cheers!

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”