Looking for opportunities?
Vegasbound

Bamberger Symphony- Principal trombone

Post by Vegasbound »

Bach5G

Re: Bamberger Symphony- Principal trombone

Post by Bach5G »

The ad says mandatory instruments include:

Permanent. Obligatory instrument. Ventilposaune, Altposaune, engmensurierter Posaune und Barockposaune.

What does engmensurierter mean? It seems to refer to narrow bore. Traditional German horn, as opposed to the ventilposaune, a modern valve instrument?
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Just a guess, but I would think that they (perhaps) like to use small bores for some rep. (Berlioz, etc.), valve trombones for Verdi and other Italian opera rep., traditional German instruments (including alto) for Beethoven, Brahms etc., as well (maybe) as modern .547 instrument. Interesting that these requirements make it into the ad, although that seems to make a lot of sense if that is the practice there.

Jim Scott
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:35 am Just a guess, but I would think that they (perhaps) like to use small bores for some rep. (Berlioz, etc.), valve trombones for Verdi and other Italian opera rep., traditional German instruments (including alto) for Beethoven, Brahms etc., as well (maybe) as modern .547 instrument. Interesting that these requirements make it into the ad, although that seems to make a lot of sense if that is the practice there.

Jim Scott
That is entirely possible. Another interpretation would be that engmensuriert (small bore) might refer to the use of jazz trombones. That makes sense to me because sometimes German trumpet position announcement’s require the use of piston valve trumpets, often referred to as jazz trumpets for musical galas, West Side Story etc.

It is also worth nothing that the Bamberg Symphony has its own big band, extremely rare, if not unique within Germany. They are pretty good. Not sure how active they still are but….

CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Agreed - I just didn't mention jazz/pops playing, but that makes a lot of sense. We often play small bores here in our orchestra for that repertoire.

JS

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”