Dental work - Root Canals, Cavities, etc

Spin your yarns here.
BrianJohnston

Dental work - Root Canals, Cavities, etc

Post by BrianJohnston »

Hi all,

Thought this forum might start some interesting discussions.

Just got back from the dentist after a root canal & 2 cavities (ouch). I remember getting my wisdom teeth out around 18/19 years old and remembered I couldn't play trombone for about a week or two.

Does anyone have experience getting dental work done, when you thought it was ok to play, what mistakes you've made starting again too early? (Feel free to explain with plenty of detail)

I want to play as soon as possible, but not at the expense of injuring myself.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
BGuttman

Re: Dental work - Root Canals, Cavities, etc

Post by BGuttman »

I had a root canal done and countless cavities filled. I was able to start playing as soon as the Novocain wore off. But don't push things.

Tooth extractions require a period for the sockets to heal. Sometimes a few weeks.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I had 11 fillings done in two sittings about a year ago. I started playing again the same day.

Obviously not something you should do with wisdom teeth, I think I took 6 days (and that was too soon).
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Fillings are no issue, but extractions and maybe root canals need time to heal so you don't blow air into them.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Root canals are usually covered by a temporary crown, so the chance of contaminating it with air is pretty low.

Playing with the effects of Novocain can be nearly impossible. Even when the numbness wears off you still may have some muscle problems that can persist for a couple of hours.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Showed up to a pit orchestra rehearsal after having a cavity filled. The conductor saw that I wasn't playing, cut the orchestra off, and glared at me. I said "Thorry, I jutht had a dentith appoitment and can't feel my lipth"... It took until the second act before I could play normally. Fun times...
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

The thing that most derailed my trombone studies was getting a tooth "bonded".

I had an upper incisor that had never extended as far as it should. It was so short it looked like I was missing a tooth. When i was about 23 or so my mom offered to pay to fix it. Off to the dentist we went.

Fixing it with braces would have meant having them on for a year or more. I knew that would be bad for trombone playing so Plan B was bonding

Basically the dentist sculpted an extension to the tooth with a resinous goo that he cured with a UV light. Bang... normal looking teeth in under an hour.

But then i pick up my horn and... th-th-th... I can't tongue anymore!. The inside of my mouth felt different and it just didn't work any more.

It took about four months before I had decent tonguing put back together but by then, serious college trombone study was pretty much over.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I would recommend not playing for few days. Despite a root canal being a routine procedure it is still trauma. Take the opportunity to do something else to recharge your batteries. If you must do something involving music consider playing through the music in your mind or think of exercises that will help with problematic areas. Take time to listen to a piece of music. Even after a few days don't force it. If something doesn't feel right you likely are not healed up yet.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

I had all my wisdom teeth removed late last year, at age 30. Recovery was rough. Dry socket in at least one place, if not two (it wasn’t diagnosed), and then nerve damage that left my lower right lip and chin with massively reduced feeling for about 6 weeks all in all, though it was always gradually improving.

I had an unmovable recording session 10 days after the surgery, and it was not a comfortable experience. 5 hours of playing, with pain in my upper right and numbness in my lower right - I do NOT recommend it. I took another 10 days off after that. I could play with the numbness ok, but not with the socket pain.

Thankfully, all is healed up now, though I do get more food stuck in there than I used to...
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I've had cleanings and fillings done with my mouth numb and I've always been able to play later that day without any problems.

I had one of my four wisdom teeth removed this past June, but it was not a surgery because it was fully erupted. I felt like I would have been able to play a week later, but it was recommended at least a 2-3 weeks without. I went a month. Especially if they have to do a surgical extraction (cut into your gums to remove the tooth), then don't play for probably a month. Otherwise you will probably get dry socket (as Matt ^ discovered)

I have the other three due to be removed, but it's not high on the dentist's priority list so it probably won't happen for a little while.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I had a root canal last week. I was surprised that the new laser technology does not wreck teeth the way treatment did 20-years ago. Instead of a huge crown, I’m scheduled to get what amounts to a filling. Because the area was sore and in the mouthpiece area, I took a couple of days off.
KiaraEdward004

Post by KiaraEdward004 »

Giving pressure to the gums after the root canal treatment might make them weak. It's better to take rest if the pain retains after two days. Take rest for at least one week and check for the progression. If more pressure is taken when you blow out and if the pain is severe then check out with a general dentist and ask for medication.
Check here for more:https://www.bloorwestsmiles.com/dental- ... treatment/
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

I had my three (thank goodness there wasn’t a fourth) wisdom teeth pulled out late this past November at age 38. I missed out on all Christmas concerts because of it and boy was I bummed. My oral surgeon did warn me that because I’m getting them removed at an “older age,” that the healing process would definitely be longer than if I had gotten them pulled when I was in my teens. Thankfully I didn’t develop any dry sockets, but I didn’t feel comfortable playing till after the New Year, well over a month after the surgery was done.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

I chose to live with my impacted wisdom teeth instead of having them out in my 30's for the very reason's HawaiiTromboneGuy shared. Add in that the main nerve is very close to the impacted teeth and there was a greater risk of nerve damage. NO thanks

My limited later in life cavities have not impacted playing but I have also avoid the horn until the Novocain was done doing it's thing.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
Lamplighter

Post by Lamplighter »

I just had 2 wisdom teeth pulled, 2 days before Thanksgiving. Dentist said no playing until the stitches come out, which was 3 weeks. Started playing again that afternoon, and have had no problems.
Trombone47

Post by Trombone47 »

Has anyone had a cap done on a front top tooth? I just had a temporary cap put on and I am concerned about pressure on the tooth.
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

All my tops teeth are capped and realigned in the process. They all have had root canals and one even has a cast post. I've had other root work done on some as well. They are a little wee bit loose, but stable enough and playing is no problem. I don't believe in using a lot of pressure. I think it defeats the chops from vibrating freely and contributes to fatigue.
TrryReynolds

Post by TrryReynolds »

Trombone47 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:52 pm Has anyone had a cap done on a front top tooth? I just had a temporary cap put on and I am concerned about pressure on the tooth.
I just got a permanent crown for one of my front top teeth. The only issue was that she made it a touch longer than the previous and temporary crowns. It looked better, but was actually interfering with my buzz. She filed it down a week later and it’s fine now. I doubt playing pressure could affect it; she is most concerned with downward pressure, such as biting something very hard with my front teeth.
Long-time school band director- hoping to get my face back into shape.

Bach lt42bofg 5g
Bach 12 Hammond 12m
Trombone47

Post by Trombone47 »

Thank you, TrryReynolds. You touched on my concern about the cap possibly coming loose as a result of the mouthpiece rim resting on it. My first temporary cap disintegrated after two days, however I believe it was a result of not being initially seated sufficiently. This new temp. is quite secure and fits correctly. I have always been careful to use my air and tongue position rather than a lot of pressure from the mouthpiece.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Many embouchures have the mouthpiece at least halfway onto the gums, so it may not be pressing directly on the teeth.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I recently had caps put on my front top two teeth. Tongue on the back of the teeth is good. MP on the front is off. I have to push my jaw forward.

But soon I have to get the 4 lower front teeth capped. Hoping that evens things up.

It has not been fun.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
PatrickDaly

Post by PatrickDaly »

I was very paranoid about getting dry sockets so I didn't play for a month after getting my wisdom teeth out. I was really lucky that it was during the summer and not the school year
Ozzlefinch

Post by Ozzlefinch »

I just had some emergency surgery done on my lower jawbone a few weeks ago. What started out as what I thought was a toothache was actually a cyst growing on the bone that finally impinged on the nerve. The surgery was very invasive and required the nerve stem to be pushed around quite a lot during the procedure as they had to remove part of the bone in the process.

The side of my jaw feels completely numb and the doctor said that it may take 3 or 4 months to know if there is permanent nerve damage. I tried buzzing the mouthpiece for the first time yesterday and I think I can make it work whether or not the nerve recovers. It felt very strange and became painful after about 30 seconds, slow going is the way. Worst case I'll just have to play simpler tunes :)
Grah

Post by Grah »

My visit to the dentist two days ago was a waste of time. I wanted him to fix my two upper front teeth from the damage sustained in a fall on my face when returning from a gig.

The original report from the hospital I attended in November 2022 said, "Graham presented following a mechanical fall resulting in a complex fracture involving the right maxillary sinus, with extension through the pterygopalatine fossa and minimally displaced fracture involving the right lateral pterygoid plate".

The dentist was more concerned about these facial injuries, and I will therefore have to wait for possible dental treatment until I get back to the Faciomaxillary Clinic. I have a letter from my own doctor to them which says, "Thank you for seeing Graham Martin, age 84 yrs, for an opinion and management. Graham is not happy that he feels his jaw is out of alignment and says his teeth catch on one another and he can no longer play the trombone". Unfortunately, it could take up to 90 days to get the appointment because they only class "he can no longer play the trombone" as a category 2 injury. But I am not sure there is anything they can do anyway.

I should also mention that I had a second fall and I have lots of aching bones and muscles. I am attending a Movement 4 Health program to try and take care of these problems.

So, despite all these problems, I think I am going to start serious practicing. I did get out my horn yesterday and can still play a few tuneful notes. I'll try and get my lip back fully. I really want to get back into my bands, because life is just not the same anymore.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Good luck, Grah.
Trombonjon

Post by Trombonjon »

If you, or anyone actually, get crowns, be sure not to remove your beer bottle caps with your teeth....seriously!
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Grah & Ozzle - good luck to both of you in your recoveries! May your healing be quick and your long tones be long!
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Benchiridion

Post by Benchiridion »

Had my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday and was told I can't play for a week. Guess now I have time to work on stuff away from the horn.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

My dentist recently talked to me about getting a veneer on one of my teeth, because it's dead on the inside and going gray. He said that I can't really bleach it because the color is coming from within and not the surface.

I'm not really sure what to do, because the tooth is only going to get more gray over time. I don't really feel comfortable have work done on my test for cosmetic reasons, when it could my ability to play the horn. I actually am going back in there next week, so I'll chat with him more about possibilities.

Has anyone gotten a veneer? Any issues?

I see that other people have gotten crowns/caps and haven't had too many issues. I can't imagine a veneer would be worse.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

JLivi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:53 pm I'm not really sure what to do, because the tooth is only going to get more gray over time. I don't really feel comfortable have work done on my test for cosmetic reasons, when it could my ability to play the horn.
I doubt that a veneer would affect your embouchure to any significant degree, much less decrease your "ability to play the horn."

I had a tooth implant for my upper front incisor - worst possible location. My dentist is very good, and listened to me about wanting to keep my front dentition intact. He did a great job - I'm happy with the implant, and my embouchure is just fine. 😁
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

What about a thin layer of bonding instead of a veneer?
Is it a front tooth within the area the mouthpieces sits on?
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:37 pm I doubt that a veneer would affect your embouchure to any significant degree, much less decrease your "ability to play the horn."

I had a tooth implant for my upper front incisor - worst possible location. My dentist is very good, and listened to me about wanting to keep my front dentition intact. He did a great job - I'm happy with the implant, and my embouchure is just fine. 😁
Well that's great to hear! I'll talk to my dentist more about this on Tuesday.
Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:04 pm Is it a front tooth within the area the mouthpieces sits on?
Yeah, it's the tooth next to my 2 front teeth, on my right side. It's where the mouthpiece hits. After I got my braces off when I was 14 my teeth were never truly straight, this tooth specifically. And ever since I've occasionally felt pain in that tooth after playing, from what seems like shifting.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Two things;
I wouldn't think you'd feel pain from a dead tooth. Maybe it's something else.

Anything that adds surface, like a veneer, is just going to put more pressure on it when you play. If you need it, I have a way of adjusting a rim surface to relieve pressure on a tooth like that.
Benchiridion

Post by Benchiridion »

Just played for the first time a little over a week after getting my wisdom teeth out. Playing felt pretty good and where the teeth were doesn't hurt but my cheeks are a little sore. Definitely going to take it easy for the next little while.
Lhbone

Post by Lhbone »

I had a pretty rough experience with wisdom teeth removal at age 25. No dry sockets but the surgeon nicked the lower right nerve when removing a severely impacted tooth, so I dealt with numbness in my chin for about a year. I also had a lot of pain in my upper teeth area despite the fact that these were very easy extractions. In total, it took about 5.5 months before I could play higher than a tuning Bb, and about a year before I could play long periods without pain/numbness. 8 years later I still occasionally feel a tinge of numbness in the chin, especially after a hard playing day.

I also learned that my body metabolizes anesthesia quickly so I woke up during the procedure multiple times - kind of traumatizing...
David123

Post by David123 »

JLivi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:15 am
Posaunus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:37 pm I doubt that a veneer would affect your embouchure to any significant degree, much less decrease your "ability to play the horn."

Well that's great to hear! I'll talk to my dentist more about this on Tuesday.
Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:04 pm Is it a front tooth within the area the mouthpieces sits on?
Yeah, it's the tooth next to my 2 front teeth, on my right side. It's where the mouthpiece hits. After I got my braces off when I was 14 my teeth were never truly straight, this tooth specifically. And ever since I've occasionally felt pain in that tooth after playing, from what seems like shifting.
My neighbour, an aspiring singer, visited her orthodontist, feeling self-conscious about her braces before an upcoming performance. Her orthodontist understood her concerns and shared stories of famous artists who had rocked braces too. Inspired, my neighbour's confidence soared. She aced her performance, her smile brighter than ever. Grateful for the orthodontist's support [ https://www.bristoldental.ca/services/orthodontics/], she embraced her braces to symbolize her journey toward musical and personal growth. She sang her heart out with a heart full of gratitude, knowing her orthodontist had given her a beautiful smile and the courage to shine.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

David123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:12 am ... knowing her orthodontist had given her a beautiful smile and the courage to shine.
David,

Apparently you are also KiaraEdward (or her clone), and rather obviously a marketing representative for various Toronto-based medical/dental/ophthalmic businesses, with absolutely no interest in or affiliation with the trombone world.

TromboneChat is a trombonists' forum, established by and operated for the mutual benefit of those who play and love the trombone. It is not a vehicle to sell your clients' services. I do not find your posts helpful, or in any way in the spirit of TromboneChat, and respectfully request that the moderators review your posts (and Kiara's) and uninvite you.

Return to “Tangents”