Appraisals

All about making money.
martinfan

Appraisals

Post by martinfan »

How does one go about getting their beloved instruments appraised? I have three trombones: early 1900's Holton, 1964 Martin Imperial, and 1976 Conn 88H. In addition, I have a mid 1980's Yamaha YEP 321 euphonium. All are in very good condition. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
WilliamLang

Re: Appraisals

Post by WilliamLang »

Holton - $200
Martin - $160
Conn - $1327.64
Yamaha - $800 and a sandwich
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
KyleJohnson

Post by KyleJohnson »

You might be able to get one at your local music store. I've walked in to get a horn repaired before and saw them doing an appraisal.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

WilliamLang wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:45 pm Holton - $200
Martin - $160
Conn - $1327.64
:lol: never underestimate the value of a sandwich :lol:
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

WilliamLang wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:45 pm Holton - $200
Martin - $160
Conn - $1327.64
How much is a Shires bass trombone? Here are the components:

Dependent Tru-bores built in 2013
Pro Select bell from 2010
B62LW slide built around 2004
Brand new tuning slide
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

5k asking, eventually bargained all the way down to 4.5k, lovely horn, only played on Sundays, not a ton of miles, right? Sandwich optional but you wouldn't turn it down, now would you?
William Lang
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
www.williamlang.org
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

WilliamLang wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:15 pm 5k asking, eventually bargained all the way down to 4.5k, lovely horn, only played on Sundays, not a ton of miles, right? Sandwich optional but you wouldn't turn it down, now would you?
Throw in an Italian combo from Jersey Mike's and we've got a deal!

Seriously though, I need my trombones appraised for insurance purposes. My Shires are a mish mosh of parts because I've changed components over the years. So whatever receipts I give the insurance won't be accurate.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

I would just take it to a shop for an honest and documented appraisal. The appraisal value might be higher than the re-sell value, but you won't know until someone legitimately documents it.
William Lang
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
www.williamlang.org
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Good luck getting a claim on any instrument that isn't in a locked museum case or so expensive that the insurance company hires a guardian for it. Unless you're insuring a fixed $250,000 piano or a strad violin, it's generally not worth it to insure a cheap musical instrument.

Trombones are indeed cheap instruments.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:18 pm Good luck getting a claim on any instrument that isn't in a locked museum case or so expensive that the insurance company hires a guardian for it. Unless you're insuring a fixed $250,000 piano or a strad violin, it's generally not worth it to insure a cheap musical instrument.

Trombones are indeed cheap instruments.
That's why instrument insurance exists.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

To make money for the insurance company?

** I'm just giving my take. It might be worth it for some people. It's a lot of hassle to prove something is worth XYX, where it was, keep track of it's condition over time, etc, and even if you get a claim, you don't get your horns back if they got ganked.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:26 pm To make money for the insurance company?

** I'm just giving my take. It might be worth it for some people. It's a lot of hassle to prove something is worth XYX, where it was, keep track of it's condition over time, etc, and even if you get a claim, you don't get your horns back if they got ganked.
I've had friends make claims and never had an issue. Instrument insurance companies know what's up.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:26 pm To make money for the insurance company?

With instrument insurance companies specifically the cheapness of trombones actually makes it easier (and the yearly amount is quite small). Expensive string instruments require appraisals and such. They have you insure your horns for the replacement cost and if you're under 10k you provide a wildly small amount of documentation for the policy. It's much more straight forward because our instruments are cheaper.

Similarly have had friends need to make claims and run into no problems. One cellist friend needed to make a devaluation claim and even that was quite simple. Just required having it reappraised at the repair person she normally goes to.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

👍 fair enuf! I had used a normal insurance company in the past, luckily never filed a claim. It was a lot of hoops to jump through to satisfy them, just to be insured. I didn't have a good amount of faith in it I guess.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

Totally- the normal insurance companies are a totally different world and very much agree with everything you wrote in terms on insuring with them. Not worth it at all cause they're gonna want a lot and be very very unlikely to cover if something happens. Had a student who that happened with. Bad news.

But Clarion is really great and super affordable.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

For an instrument brand that is still in production, insure the instrument for the price to replace it with a new example. MSRP should be used.

For instruments that are no longer in production, follow a similar concept. What would be a similar current production instrument be? Insure it for that amount.

I've only ever heard good stories of people needing to claim on instrument insurance both in the US and Australia. I think everyone should have their values/loved horns insured. There are just too many times you hear of someone having their horn stolen!! (Of course, not leaving your horn in your car would help prevent many of these thefts)
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

PS. Instrument specific insurance is great! Having instruments included in your household contents insurance is a waste of money.

Clarion is the company to speak to in the US. Marsh in Australia. Both very reasonable.
Matthew Walker
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

My wife's upright bass has been through 2 major car accidents over the years and had to be completely put back together both times. Clarion paid for all of it, no problem.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Ebay is the best judge of what something is worth if you can find an identical model or one very close. It's what they called a "perfect market" in my college econ class. There is an unlimited number of buyers and sellers, so the true value of something comes out pretty quickly.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

The only problem with ebay is documenting the value. Not arguing the veracity of your statement, as I think it is spot on, however the insurance companies (may) need something more concrete if a claim is made. That is where a quote from a retailer for an instrument of approximately equal value comes in
Matthew Walker
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Besides which if all your horns are uncommon-ish discontinued models (like mine are) the sample size from ebay etc may be limited, and don't really get at the real-world cost of finding an acceptable replacement. I haven't seen another Benge 175F go up for sale in the time I've owned mine, and if I had to replace it I'd probably wind up with a Bach 36b or Conn 79H, either of which would have a higher purchase price.
IshTamas

Post by IshTamas »

Hello everyone!
I came across a MJ Heleshen 3 valve trombone #2547
Two of the valves are sticking a bit anf could use a good cleaning.
Any thoughts on the value it may hold?
Thank you in advance.
Ish
I don’t play the instrument but I realize it’s a vintage and I would like for someone to enjoy it.
Last edited by IshTamas on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

IshTamas wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:16 am Hello everyone!
Thank you in advance.
Ish
I don’t play the instrument but I realize it’s a vintage and I would like for someone to enjoy it.
From your eBay listing, this seems to be a museum piece - unlikely to find a place to play this interesting instrument. :idk:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325955805491
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

IshTamas wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:16 am Hello everyone!
Thank you in advance.
Ish
I believe Kalashen was an importer. They are all stencil instruments from Europe. This is most likely from Czechoslovakia. They often have "Czecho" or "Austria" stamped on the mouthpiece receiver. Probably not worth a lot, but kind of a cool old instrument.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Music Business”