Giddings NY-S

fwbassbone

Giddings NY-S

Post by fwbassbone »

Because of the ensembles I play in (brass band and big band) I have been leaning toward a brighter sound for the last few years. I've tried a number of smaller than 60 sized mouthpieces. The three that seemed to work best were the GP6, 6.0M, and recently the Markey 87. At NABBA this year I talked to Ivan Giddings and told him I liked the feel of his pieces but explained I needed a brighter sound. He listened patiently and then had me try several pieces. I picked the NY-S and have been playing it exclusively since. I didn't pay any attention to specs and instead just picked the one that felt the best and had the right sound. It's a smaller (than 60) mouthpiece but not a 1 1/2G size. I really like it and it works very well for what I do on an everyday basis. If you're looking for smaller you would be wise to check out the NY-S. Thanks Ivan for the advice and attention.
Druidman

Re: Giddings NY-S

Post by Druidman »

I've owned most of his bass pieces at some point. Really loses its core at soft volumes, but can cut well when it's pushed.
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Interesting you ended up with steel on your search to something brighter. Oddly enough, one thing all Giddings mouthpieces I tried had one thing in common: They darkened my sound A LOT.
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

When I spoke with Ivan at NABBA I told him that exactly. I loved the feel but they were too dark. He had me try several pieces and the NY-S was precisely what I was looking for. I've been using it since.
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I like to have two examples of the mouthpiece I'm currently playing so after settling on the NY-S I ordered another a couple weeks ago. I have played both extensively since and really can't tell them apart. My initial observations haven't changed and now I have a back-up should I need it. Thanks Ivan!

Return to “Mouthpieces”