Doug Elliot please help

Trhtrbn

Doug Elliot please help

Post by Trhtrbn »

I am 62 years old and have upper dentures and just came back after not playing for more than 10 years. I have been playing a Yamaha YSL-352 with a Bach 12E, I seem to get better range and good pedal tones with it, better than the 12C. I am going back to bass bone, a YBL-612, and used to play a 1-1/2G. Has anyone successfully played bass bone with smaller mouthpieces? Say the 6-1/2AL or equivalent, or even something smaller like a 7 to 11? Which Bach large shank mouthpiece is the most shallow with the smallest back bore? Would it be the 6-1/2AM? Is a deep and wide cup truly necessary for a full sound? I changed from 12C to 12E because the deep cup caused me to have breathy tone and less responsive attacks, and my chops got fatigued more quickly with the 12C. Let’s say I went with a 5GS, any thoughts? Btw, I think the change in my embouchure is due to the dentures. My original two front teeth had a small gap and the dentures do not. Idk, I am no oral expert, just personal observation.
Thom H
King 4B bone, Denis Wick 5AL Mouthpiece.
Yamaha YSL-3530R bone, Bach 5G small shank mouthpiece.
greenbean

Re: Doug Elliot please help

Post by greenbean »

My take: If you really want to play 11's or 7's, etc, get a small-bore horn. You will have a blast. If you want to play bass trombone, use a bass mouthpiece. At the small end is a 2G. I bit bigger is the 1.5G. I have happily played one for years. And I don't think the dentures affect bass/tenor playing differently.

Of course, I am not Doug Elliott. (I have, though, listened to a high school player usinbg a 5G on bass. He did not sound good.)
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

For “amateur” playing (and I don’t say that as a pejorative), that’s actually not a bad recommendation in this circumstance. A King 3BF or 607F has a pretty good low range and would be an easier switch for someone focusing on pieces that small.

Of course, it definitely helps to have a lesson or to start lessons if you can afford them. Having someone who can show you issues with your embrouchure will help more than any mouthpiece will
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Ask Doug here for a lesson to see what is going on with your embouchure, and he can make a mouthpiece recommendation if necessary.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I'd have to see you play. Send me a PM here or email.
If you use Skype, that's best. Tonight, tomorrow, or Friday?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

I will get the ybl612 next week or so. I actually am talking with a pro bass bonist and he gave me good direction. Thanks everyone.
Thom H
King 4B bone, Denis Wick 5AL Mouthpiece.
Yamaha YSL-3530R bone, Bach 5G small shank mouthpiece.

Return to “Mouthpieces”