Maynard Ferguson with Stan Kenton on The Ed Sullivan Show-December 3, 1950

Discuss the people that make the music here.
AndrewMeronek

Maynard Ferguson with Stan Kenton on The Ed Sullivan Show-December 3, 1950

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Featuring Maynard, but there are a few nice little bone moments here too.

:cool:

Maynard is 22 here. Damn.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
JohnL

Re: Maynard Ferguson with Stan Kenton on The Ed Sullivan Show-December 3, 1950

Post by JohnL »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:56 pmMaynard is 22 here. Damn.
Not so much a trumpet player as an elemental force of nature.

Hard to tell for sure, but I think that's George Roberts on the the stage right end of the trombone section.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

It's amazing how much of his signature style that lasted to the end of his career he had developed so early. There are other recordings (with Kenton) that show him more as a truly brilliant musician and less as the circus freak.
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

Can only imagine how people reacted to this force of nature way back then. Must have been controversial. The last time I saw Maynard was in something like a little rumpus/auxiliary room at a little school in Modesto, CA. Me and my buddies of course had to sit in the front row. Even at his advanced age, not in best of health, sometimes even gasping for air in his radiant blue jumpsuit, he was STILL MAYNARD! Blown Away to the nth degree.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

My father loved both Maynard and Doc and described them like this:
"Maynard is the wild, hot chick you want to date and Doc is the pretty, but sensible girl you marry".
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

JohnL wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:07 am Hard to tell for sure, but I think that's George Roberts on the the stage right end of the trombone section.
Were screen credits documented for the Ed Sullivan show for all the members of the various acts?

- Thelonious Monk
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:01 am It's amazing how much of his signature style that lasted to the end of his career he had developed so early. There are other recordings (with Kenton) that show him more as a truly brilliant musician and less as the circus freak.
Well . . . especially video recordings, I'd like to see them if you can track some down and post here.

What strikes me about this video (and really, any of Maynard) is just the sheer joy at music making he sweats out of his pores. I feel that way when things really go right in my musicking - but I'm sure that I'm not able to share that with an audience the same way he could, and obviously I can't play like that.

All that said, Maynard is not my favorite trumpet player. But - mad respect. :cool:

- Thelonious Monk
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

henrysa wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:27 am Can only imagine how people reacted to this force of nature way back then. Must have been controversial.
Polarizing is the term I'd use, and it became more pronounced over time. Take a look at the comments on pretty much any Youtube video featuring him and you'll see the Maynard-bashers weighing in.
AndrewMeronek wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:30 am Were screen credits documented for the Ed Sullivan show for all the members of the various acts?
Probably not. I just checked IMDB and there's only a handful of credits for that date.

On further viewing, I think I can see enough detail in the wrap to say it's a King, which would lead me to think it's Bart Varsalona. Discogs shows him playing on the recording session for Viva Prado and I'm So In The Mood on 12 September 1950.
https://www.discogs.com/release/8493630 ... n-The-Mood

Return to “Musicians”