Bass bone and dentures

How and what to teach and learn.
Trhtrbn

Bass bone and dentures

Post by Trhtrbn »

Forgive me if this has been asked before. Was wondering if any other you bass ‘bonists have dentures? I am coming back after more than a decade of not playing any instruments and I realize I need to do a lot of long tones to build up the chops. Any thoughts or directions on pedal tones, I cannot seem to get below low Eb at this time? YBL-612 with 59 mouthpiece.
Thom H
King 4B bone, Denis Wick 5AL Mouthpiece.
Yamaha YSL-3530R bone, Bach 5G small shank mouthpiece.
MStarke

Re: Bass bone and dentures

Post by MStarke »

Just a small friendly hint:
You don't need to post your question in multiple places on this forum. It can be a bit annoying to see the same topic multiple times and if someone can contribute, they will certainly do so in just one place.

(I think you are new to the forum and may want to ensure you get as many answers as possible. I understand that, but I don't think it's necessary)
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Can't really contribute on the actual topic. a good teacher might give you advice on some basics. also this simply needs time to develop.
Markus Starke

Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
GGJazz

Post by GGJazz »

Hy all.
Hy Trhtrbn .

About dentures I can' t give you any suggestions . Anyway , In my opinion , being more than a decade that you does not play any brass instruments , you have to start over from the very beginning , as you have never played in your entire life .
I think that after such period of rest , the embouchure disappear , as the "muscle memory" .

So , to me , starting again with a bass trbn and a 59 sized mpc might be too much taxing .
No one start to play from the beginning with such equipment . I suggest you to practice with a tenor trbn , and a 6 1/2 sized mpc . Also , do not care at all about pedals and trigger notes , for a while .

I think that long tones are not the best thing to practice for a beginner player , also .
Obviusly , having some private lessons with a good teacher will help .

Best regards
Giancarlo
Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

MStarke wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:44 am Just a small friendly hint:
You don't need to post your question in multiple places on this forum. It can be a bit annoying to see the same topic multiple times and if someone can contribute, they will certainly do so in just one place.

(I think you are new to the forum and may want to ensure you get as many answers as possible. I understand that, but I don't think it's necessary)
Thank you. I did not know what forum this question should have gone to, I apologize. Maybe you could tell where this question was supposed to be sent. Thanks, again.
Thom H
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Trhtrbn wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:45 pm
MStarke wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:44 am Just a small friendly hint:

Thank you. I did not know what forum this question should have gone to, I apologize. Maybe you could tell where this question was supposed to be sent. Thanks, again.
Didn't want to sound rude, sorry if I did.

I think this is the right place here.
Markus Starke

Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

MStarke wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:06 pm
Trhtrbn wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:45 pm

Didn't want to sound rude, sorry if I did.

I think this is the right place here.
No worries, messaging, text, and emails are impersonal by nature 😊 Thx
Thom H
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I didn’t play for 27-years then had only a few weeks to be ready for a gig. I found this book useful.
https://www.mountainpeakmusic.com/commo ... -time-off/

Pedals will take a good while and you get them by lots of practice. Look up Phil Teele on YouTube.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”