The case of the unknonn bone ...

BaronVonBone

The case of the unknonn bone ...

Post by BaronVonBone »

Can anyone tell me what I'd've found inside if I'd bought this case, loaded, when it was new?

I mean specifically ... not "a trombone"--heh.

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbonesullivan

Re: The case of the unknonn bone ...

Post by tbonesullivan »

That's a UMI trombone case, as used with King, Conn, ETC during the 1980s and 1990s.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Looks like a Conn or Blessing bass trombone case, they used that style from the mid-late 70's until recently.
Used to be that you knew instantly when on a gig what brand of horn another player had based on the case, back in the days before aftermarket cases become common. And it was usually a Conn, King, or Bach.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

If it is all black, it is probably a UMI instrument. If it is a mixture of black and gray, it is probably a Blessing.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Could also be a Benge 165/190, but probably an 88h or 8h. Maybe 5xh.
flyingcow

Post by flyingcow »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:53 pm Could also be a Benge 165/190, but probably an 88h or 8h. Maybe 5xh.
yeah, my 165 came in the exact case.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Any photos of the interior?...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BaronVonBone

Post by BaronVonBone »

Thanks for all the info!

I suspect this is a Benge case. I've long had that notion in mind--kind of a shadow of a memory of it having been mentioned when I bought the horn that actually came in it (an O.E. Thayer Bb/F/Eb bass bone). But it sounds like I'm safe concluding at least that it's a UMI bass bone case.

It is gray and black, btw.

Here's the interior--again, much appreciated!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I am going to say it is a generic aftermarket case. Doesn't look any King/Conn/Benge case I have seen.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

One of the local community bands buys govt surplus instruments and donates to local schools. (no I don't know the details, someone else handles this one)

We bid on a Yamaha euph, think it was the 321, and got it for about $150. It came in a 321 euph case, but inside was a top of the line Willson.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

greenbean wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:58 pm I am going to say it is a generic aftermarket case. Doesn't look any King/Conn/Benge case I have seen.
I agree Tom. It's different - less horn-specific, more generic.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

timothy42b wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:32 pm One of the local community bands buys govt surplus instruments and donates to local schools. (no I don't know the details, someone else handles this one)

We bid on a Yamaha euph, think it was the 321, and got it for about $150. It came in a 321 euph case, but inside was a top of the line Willson.
Side note, you used have to have one of a couple of certain tax statuses to bid. And there was also some condition that you had to not resell the item for profit for like 5 years.

My details are decades old, but that’s how my school got a few horns a long time ago.

Cheers,
And

Return to “Accessories”