Credit Where Credit is Due

MCLisle

Credit Where Credit is Due

Post by MCLisle »

I have been listening to a lot of Bossa Nova over the past 10 years, but since I just purchased a trombone 2 weeks ago, I am really listening more carefully to the wonderful trombone on the Complete Reprise Recordings of Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim.

I cannot find any credits for the trombonist on these recordings. The liner notes are quite lengthy, and identify the arrangers, producers, etc. but it is mind-boggling how these quality musicians just get left out of the credits.

Does anyone happen to know who the trombonist was on the 1967 and 1969 recordings ?

I'll be thrilled to listen to more of this artist if you can enlighten me.

Thanks so much,

Marcus
Last edited by MCLisle on Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Elliott

Re: Credit Where Credit is Due

Post by Doug Elliott »

I'm listening to it now. I've heard a lot of Sinatra but not that. The playing I've heard so far is very smooth but not really any identifiable style. My first guess would be Urbie Green, assuming it was recorded in NY.
I'll keep listening.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Looking at the liner notes on the original vinyl album from '67, it would seem that session was in Hollywood.
Next to Jobim perches Jobim's personal drummer, a Brazilian who can look simultaneously alert and stoned. Flew into Hollywood specially for this.
The liner notes even talk about the trombone player, but not by name.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Some of those Stan Getz recordings had JJ Johnson on them. I have a remastered version with such attribution at least. I can see if I can dig up the liners. Not sure if they’re the same albums you are referring to.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Both were recorded in Hollywood.

Solo tbn on the 1967 sessions (tracks 1-10 of your compilation) was Dick Noel.

Section for 1969 (tracks 11-20) was Milt Bernhart, Dick Nash, Dick Noel, with George Roberts or Kenny Shroyer depending on session.

https://worldcat.org/title/43083352
MCLisle

Post by MCLisle »

Wow--Thanks so much for the quick answers !!

You have just launched me on a listening quest for these trombone session players who I did not know about. Much appreciated !
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ithinknot wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:16 am Both were recorded in Hollywood.

Solo tbn on the 1967 sessions (tracks 1-10 of your compilation) was Dick Noel.

Section for 1969 (tracks 11-20) was Milt Bernhart, Dick Nash, Dick Noel, with George Roberts or Kenny Shroyer depending on session.

https://worldcat.org/title/43083352
What a great lineup!
Was Nelson Riddle involved?
MCLisle

Post by MCLisle »

The liner notes booklet is comprised of 20 pages of very entertaining narrative text by Stan "Underwood" Cornyn and some session photos. He even describes the dialogue between Sinatra and the musicians and really paints the atmosphere so well. That is why it is so surprising that many of the musicians are not given credit.

The 1967 sessions were arranged and conducted by Claus Ogerman, and the 1969 sessions were arranged by Eumir Deodato and conducted by Morris Stoloff.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Oohh! I must listen to these recordings. I grew up using the “Practice With The Experts” book compiled by Paul Tanner. One of the contributors was Dick Noel. I have tried in the past to find recordings of him playing, but only found recordings of him singing……I am assuming it is the same Dick Noel. I have always thought he was an excellent singer, I would love to hear his trombone playing!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
MCLisle

Post by MCLisle »

Actually, there are two Dick Noles:

Richard Noel, born May 30, 1927, Brooklyn, New York – October 20, 2017, Escondido, California, known professionally as Dick Noel, was an American band vocalist, jingle singer, and radio and television performer.

Richard L. Noel, American jazz trombonist, was born one year earlier 1926 and died in 1989.

But please do listen to trombonist Dick Noel, because I think you'll like what you hear :)
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Ahh! I did assume incorrectly. I appreciate that information.

I will continue my search for Dick Noel (trombonist) recordings. For those who have never heard Dick Noel (vocalist), I recommend you investigate his music as well. He did a lot of lead singing with the Ray Anthony band.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Performance”