Double Buzzing

How and what to teach and learn.
BigFamilyBone

Double Buzzing

Post by BigFamilyBone »

Hi All! I'm 2 weeks into getting back into the playing after 28 years away! I've been practicing a couple hrs a day (Off and On through the day) and have made leaps and bounds in the last 2 weeks. But there's one issue that I don't remember happening before (though high school was a long time ago so maybe it was). I seem to be getting a double buzzing when I play F3, E3, D3 and sometimes C3. It doesn't happen on any other notes. I wasn't even sure of what it was until I saw it on one of wilktone's videos about the common causes. Since then I've watched several videos about common causes and I think I may fall into the category of simply needing to strengthen my lower lip but wanted to see if any of you have any input. When it happens varies. I can hold the note for a couple seconds fine and then it'll just start. And other times it happens right when I hit that note. I've noticed if I consciously tighten my lower lip when it's happening it'll stop. I know this can also be caused by buzzing a different tone than you're trying to play in the horn. My biggest concern is, in fixing this, I want to make sure I'm going about it the 'right' way and not causing myself problems later down the road. I'm thinking I just need to keep on working things and practicing and doing all the drills (like buzzing without the mouthpiece) to strengthen my embouchure. Then see where things are in a month or so. Does that sound like a reasonable approach or do I need to do something specific to nip this in the bud?

For reference: I'm playing an old bundy student horn with a 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece. After watching wilktone's videos and doing to investigating with my mouthpiece, a mirror and really thinking about what I was doing instinctively, I discovered I blow up and not down.
Wes Blair
BGuttman

Re: Double Buzzing

Post by BGuttman »

Getting a lesson with Dave Wilken or Doug Elliott can get you much farther than simply asking here. They can do it on Skype (and probably Zoom) so you don't have to travel. It'll be worth much more than the cost of a Doug Elliott mouthpiece for a lot less cost.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

There are far too many variables to try to talk about it without seeing what you're doing. I have time available tomorrow for a Skype lesson if you're interested.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BigFamilyBone

Post by BigFamilyBone »

Thanks! Sent you an email. Tried to send a pm but it still shows in the outbox and not in the sent. So just went ahead and emailed you Doug.
Wes Blair

Return to “Teaching & Learning”