Looking for something new

papabird

Looking for something new

Post by papabird »

Hello to all.

Details:
- had a large-bore King 2104 4B with F-attachment in high school (mid-80s). (concert band, jazz band, stage band).
- played a few seasons with a local symphony ages ago and some paying gigs in a couple of jazz bands
- stopped playing and eventually sold it about 10 years ago.
- caught the bug last fall and purchased a new Yamaha YSL-640, medium bore, f-attachment.
- been playing with the local concert band mostly and would like to do some jazz again. I realized that I really missed playing.
- starting to work on improving high range (while still sound good up there)
- Currently have the Yamaha 48-S and a Bach 6 1/2AL. Neither is feeling quite right but hard to describe.

Looking to improve tone and endurance. The concert band I am in will be breaking for the season after the end of June concert and I plan on practicing to get better for the start of the season in September.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Roger
EriKon

Re: Looking for something new

Post by EriKon »

Doug Elliott is imo the absolute best choice for medium bore horns
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

For something cheap to try, find a used Bach 5GS. It may give you a clue if you need to go larger or smaller in rim size and should be a good match.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:20 pm For something cheap to try, find a used Bach 5GS. It may give you a clue if you need to go larger or smaller in rim size and should be a good match.
This.

The Yamaha 640 is also definitely a BIG medium bore horn. The tuning slide on it is actually wider in bore than a Bach 42 tuning slide.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The Bach 5GS should be very similar to your Bach 6½AL (25.50mm vs. 25.40mm nominal Cup I.D.).
As noted above, Doug Elliott makes custom mouthpieces, and is really dialed in for medium bore trombones.
Just let Doug know your preferences and where you'll be using the trombone.
Welcome back. Good luck!
papabird

Post by papabird »

EriKon wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:16 pm Doug Elliott is imo the absolute best choice for medium bore horns
I will reach out to him. Currently I have a message to him in my outbox and unable to send (possibly because I have only done a few posts here).

Thanks
Roger
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

That’s an artifact of how phpBB was built originally. That just means Doug hasn’t read it yet. He’s busy getting ready for ITF no doubt. Id recommend emailing him. For the YSL6xx medium series, I’ve yet to try anything that beats a D+ or E cup w/ a 4 shank, personally.
papabird

Post by papabird »

Matt K wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:00 am That’s an artifact of how phpBB was built originally. That just means Doug hasn’t read it yet. He’s busy getting ready for ITF no doubt. Id recommend emailing him. For the YSL6xx medium series, I’ve yet to try anything that beats a D+ or E cup w/ a 4 shank, personally.
Thanks for the info, I thought it was strange to still be in the outbox. Just checked out the ITF 2023; quite the lineup!

Return to “Mouthpieces”