Kelley mouthpiece

tim

Kelley mouthpiece

Post by tim »

I've started to use a Kelley 1 1/2 g in my '68 62 h as an experiment with lexan rims. To my surprise it's working extremely well, no dullness of tone, response is very good. I was concerned that it would have some negative factors but after at least 6 weeks it's working. Anyone else have this experience?
Tim
Tim

"We play a slide bugle"
kingsk1117

Re: Kelley mouthpiece

Post by kingsk1117 »

I bought a Kelly lexan mpc for my Conn 71H last year to deal with needing to play an outdoor concert in freezing weather. I had been having issues with cleanly getting the trigger notes out cleanly, and as soon as I started using the Kelly, everything opened up. Now my standard. Love it!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The Kelly pieces are actually pretty good if you find one in a size that works for you. The problems with them are that there are extremely limited sizes and the specs are a bit off from what you’d expect from their naming convention. If I’m remembering correctly, almost every rim size is slightly smaller than what you’d expect.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The resin printed mouthpieces I have also play surprisingly well, and articulate particularly well. They don't project or sound quite like brass though. Also, since they articulate better than the brass equivalents I also have, I guess they don't articulate like brass either.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I play Kelly on my tuba, and DE lexan rims on trombone. I find the lexan much less sensitive to temperature and also oddly, they don't collect lip gunk like silver plated pieces.

Return to “Mouthpieces”