Anyone use the Pollard water key?

Kbiggs

Anyone use the Pollard water key?

Post by Kbiggs »

Has anyone tried these? What’s your experience? I’ve only talked to one person who said the parts weren’t mated to each other, so it leaked.

https://www.pollardwaterkey.com/

I like the Saturn water key, but the three I’ve tried developed leaks. I had an Amado on my old bass slide, but I had to let the water out a lot. I don’t like the idea of the JoyKey—it seems like you’d be throwing your spit around.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Posaunus

Re: Anyone use the Pollard water key?

Post by Posaunus »

Seems to be a good design that addresses the deficiencies in other valves.
Price $60 - $70 - $80 depending on configuration & finish.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

The standard water key, the Amado, Saturn and Pollard water keys have one thing in common. They all require the player to stop playing, reach down to empty the water and then return to a normal playing posture. The JoyKey, on the other hand, never requires any action on the part of the player. You could perform the entire Tschaikovsky 4th Symphony without going through the drill of dumping accumulated water. For those who may be squeamish about where all that accumulation of condensation goes, a ball-like accessory device that slips over the JoyKey acts as a reservoir to catch it all. You can empty the reservoir at your convenience since it holds quite a bit before becoming full. Also consider the plight of the bass trombonist who must detach his grip from 2 levers in order to be able to hold the slide with the left hand as the right hand empties the water. Then, the player must "get back in the saddle" to continue playing. All unnecessary motions with a JoyKey ! I've fitted them on two bass trombone slides with great results. Highly recommended ! :good:
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

2bobone wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:49 pm The standard water key, the Amado, Saturn and Pollard water keys have one thing in common. They all require the player to stop playing, reach down to empty the water and then return to a normal playing posture. The JoyKey, on the other hand, never requires any action on the part of the player. You could perform the entire Tschaikovsky 4th Symphony without going through the drill of dumping accumulated water. For those who may be squeamish about where all that accumulation of condensation goes, a ball-like accessory device that slips over the JoyKey acts as a reservoir to catch it all. You can empty the reservoir at your convenience since it holds quite a bit before becoming full. Also consider the plight of the bass trombonist who must detach his grip from 2 levers in order to be able to hold the slide with the left hand as the right hand empties the water. Then, the player must "get back in the saddle" to continue playing. All unnecessary motions with a JoyKey ! I've fitted them on two bass trombone slides with great results. Highly recommended ! :good:
Over time,Is there maybe a change that it will be petrified after a while, or that the slide will drain too slow leaving deposits?… dont know..Just speculating😉
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

"Over time,Is there maybe a change that it will be petrified after a while, or that the slide will drain too slow leaving deposits?… dont know..Just speculating😉"

Your speculation is "spot on". Indeed, after about a week of playing regularly, minute bits of debris do begin to clog the capillary passages in the filter and it must be cleaned or replaced for proper operation. I have several of the filters and pop a new one in when the action slows down. After I accumulate a few clogged filters I drop them into an utrasonic jewelry cleaner and in less than a minute they are ready for another round of service. The ultrasonic machine can be bought for about $25 at many online stores. According to Andrew Joy, the inventor of the JoyKey, boiling them in a pan with plain vinegar will accomplish the same thing. It's very satisfying to use the ultrasonic machine though, as you can see a cloud of debris being released instantaneously. The filters do not pass air once they have the least bit of moisture in them. You can block the one slide and blow with all of your might in the other and there is no leakage once the filter is moistened. You can't imagine how enjoyable it is to play for hours without once having to dump water ! The only time you find water in the slide is when you have left the horn on a stand for a long period of time because the JoyKey is not on the lowest part of the slide as it is when in the playing [draining] position. Try it ! You'll like it ! :good:
dwn8ve

Post by dwn8ve »

I had two installed. One on my bass, and one on a tenor. Both unfortunately leaked. I recall one gig on bass that I could see the trail of water in front of my from leakage as I moved my slide. Quickly replaced them.
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony
Milashius Musical Instruments

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

"Both unfortunately leaked. I recall one gig on bass that I could see the trail of water in front of my from leakage as I moved my slide."

That's exactly what the JoyKey is supposed to do ! The reservoir will solve that issue if desired.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I have 2 Pollard water keys on my Flugabone. They work OK, but standard, old fashioned water keys would be just as good. I know a number of tuba players who have tried Pollard keys, and had bad experiences with them.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Modification & Repair”