Greg Black 7C vs Bach 7C

gregwaits

Greg Black 7C vs Bach 7C

Post by gregwaits »

How do these compare in spec? Is the Bach a bit smaller by comparison?

Anyone have any insight?
Thanks
gregwaits

Re: Greg Black 7C vs Bach 7C

Post by gregwaits »

I see under Greg Black’s Legend series he makes a JW model. Essentially the 7C with larger .234 throat.

Anyone know who JW is?
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Jiggs Wigham
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

gregwaits wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:49 pm How do these compare in spec? Is the Bach a bit smaller by comparison?

Anyone have any insight?
Thanks
The Black is significantly larger to my chops. Even Greg's 9c feels a bit bigger than my MV 7C.

I like the Black 9c, a LOT. I like the 7c too; I felt the 9c gave me more punchiness-- the 7c is one of the most nimble mouthpieces I've owned. The 9c specifically allows for agility at volume, which I dig.

I personally felt like I wasn't getting enough support from the 7c in a "loud live" setting, but if I recall you're a 6 3/4c guy; you might fit right into it.

My "gripe" with GB pieces is that they sound exactly like whatever they want to sound like. It's a great sound though. My Bach 7cs are variable; the one I like best (the MV), has more mids than the GB, but it's not as agile or comfortable. Hopefully that makes sense!
gregwaits

Post by gregwaits »

TromboneMonkey wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:49 pm
gregwaits wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:49 pm How do these compare in spec? Is the Bach a bit smaller by comparison?

Anyone have any insight?
Thanks
The Black is significantly larger to my chops. Even Greg's 9c feels a bit bigger than my MV 7C.

I like the Black 9c, a LOT. I like the 7c too; I felt the 9c gave me more punchiness-- the 7c is one of the most nimble mouthpieces I've owned. The 9c specifically allows for agility at volume, which I dig.

I personally felt like I wasn't getting enough support from the 7c in a "loud live" setting, but if I recall you're a 6 3/4c guy; you might fit right into it.

My "gripe" with GB pieces is that they sound exactly like whatever they want to sound like. It's a great sound though. My Bach 7cs are variable; the one I like best (the MV), has more mids than the GB, but it's not as agile or comfortable. Hopefully that makes sense!
Thanks for the observations. We’re on vacation right now (returning from Hawaii tomorrow), and I know the mouthpiece is waiting on me. 😁
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

TromboneMonkey wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:49 pm My "gripe" with GB pieces is that they sound exactly like whatever they want to sound like. It's a great sound though. My Bach 7cs are variable; the one I like best (the MV), has more mids than the GB, but it's not as agile or comfortable. Hopefully that makes sense!
I thought the same when I got into his small-shank mouthpieces. I got myself a light blank version and even those are slightly heavier than his bass piece I play in medium weight. I feel like that's what keeps you from changing the sound and/or attacks pretty much at all without cranking up the dynamic level past a musically acceptable point. I then gave the Futuro version a shot and found the weight reduction in that blank allowed much easier access to different tone colors and attack shapes. Other than a slight reduction in the effortless focus/centering present in the heavier blank I find the Futuro to be a much, much more flexible sounding mouthpiece.

Return to “Mouthpieces”