Bob Reaves / Noah Gladstone screw rim mp?

RichC

Bob Reaves / Noah Gladstone screw rim mp?

Post by RichC »

Curious as to the purpose of the screw rim option on these mouthpieces. I don't see separate rims to purchase like Doug Elliott offers.
Doug Elliott

Re: Bob Reaves / Noah Gladstone screw rim mp?

Post by Doug Elliott »

Nobody in their right mind would make hundreds of different screw rims like I do.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

They offer the rims in different materials.
RichC

Post by RichC »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:57 pm Nobody in their right mind would make hundreds of different screw rims like I do.
LOL
RichC

Post by RichC »

Matt K wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:06 pm They offer the rims in different materials.
Ok, just don't see that on their website.
And thought maybe they were crazy like Doug and had different rim sizes available
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It’s not advertised but they’ll do largely whatever you want they just don’t have a ton of variety in stock like Doug does
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The Reeves website mentions screw rims, but doesn't really have any options. Also the Martin Schippers Signature Bass mouthpiece is only available in screw rim. I don't quite understand the reason about even having it only available in screw rim.

On the Brass Ark website they have more options, such as a delrin rim, silver body gold rim, and super expensive sterling silver rim.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

For many years, the Giardinelli mouthpieces were only available as screw rims.

JS
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:30 am For many years, the Giardinelli mouthpieces were only available as screw rims.

JS
Maybe it was easier to manufacture them that way? I can't see how though. Were the Giardinelli's designed to change the rims for different shapes or something?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

There were different cups (shallow/deep, large shank/small shank) in the various Giardinelli series. They weren't like Doug's where you could change rim sizes, but you could keep the same rim with a different underpart for different kinds of playing.

My guess is that if they are already set up to make a mouthpiece a certain way, it's easier to cut it for a screw rim than reset the tooling. I have a Brassark 4G/5G that they only make as a screw rim, and I think they thread a 5G to accept the 4G rim. Beautiful work by the way - you can't tell it's a screw rim until you start to take the rim off of the cup.

JS
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

->For many years, the Giardinelli mouthpieces were only available as screw rims.

Giardinelli made Lucite rims, as well as the usual gold plated narrow and cushion rims.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

heldenbone wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:14 pm ->For many years, the Giardinelli mouthpieces were only available as screw rims.

Giardinelli made Lucite rims, as well as the usual gold plated narrow and cushion rims.
That's right - I just meant that they weren't meant to be able to put a #3 rim on a #7 cup or vice versa.

JS
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

I know that Noah Gladstone (Slipmo) has done some work with Jay Friedman, and Jay had previously worked up a whole series of modular pieces with Parke (also great mouthpieces, if you can get one, btw). Maybe that’s where they had gotten the idea?
Noah may correct me….

I did have them thread a Mr Bass Trombone for Doug’s LB series rims, and it was done very well.
(Before you ask, it’s an LB112 rim, and that cup from Noah is a wacky shape, pretty unique in the way that it sounds and responds))
(Necessary, no. But interesting and fun to play, yes)

Return to “Mouthpieces”