False Glissando on trombone

PiccoloTrombonist1

False Glissando on trombone

Post by PiccoloTrombonist1 »

First off - sorry if this is the wrong category to post this in, i'm new here.
Ive been playing piano pieces as trombone solos while practicing (just for general practice or whenever i want to play a song where no one has composed a trombone solo), and many of them have false glissandos. Especially for piano (since every note is articulated) this creates a very unique sound. Is there any way i could achieve something similar on trombone?
WilliamLang

Re: False Glissando on trombone

Post by WilliamLang »

you can multiple tongue while glissando-ing and see if that gets close - you don't even have to hit every note or anything, just kinda fall and articulate as fast as possible. flutter tongue could also be a substitute option.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Flail your f attachment valve while doing a rip to the note where the gliss ends. Doesn't work on piccolo trombone or for digital beings.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Could be a challenge to gliss all the white notes or the black notes as needed.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Sounds like a glissando self image problem if your glissandos aren't true enough for your taste. Personally I've never wondered if my glissandos were true or false. Maybe Lassus Trombone is an exception, it seems to be false now. Maybe you should try it on your piccolo trombone and see. Just not in public .
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

If you want something close to a piano glissando?
1. You could play chromatics very fast with a legato articulation. There are many trix for fast articulation. You could double tounge or tripple tounge or you have to invent something yourself
2. You could do a "rip" (move slide outwards as you force notes higher), up to a note or the opposite down to a note.

Variants of glisses
3. Use "flatterzunge" during a gliss.
4. Use "growl" as an effect during a gliss.

/Tom
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

There is a trick way of playing the Bb major scale, starting on :bassclef: :space5: and going up. The slide positions are 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 6, 7. Played fast it would give you the effect of running the back of your finger (finger nail) up the 8 notes of the scale. Experimenting with this technique might provide other alternatives. You don't need to tongue any of the notes as they are all across the breaks. It also works the opposite way but high Bb on 7th is noy an easy note to start on!

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass

Return to “Performance”