Dad's Olds Super trumpet

Pepperodin

Dad's Olds Super trumpet

Post by Pepperodin »

My father was an accomplished musician. He played an Olds Super trumpet. It is a fact that his horn is the second oldest Olds Super known to exist. The horn was manufactured in 1931, and my Dad purchased it at the age of 14, about 1934. He played in the usual venues including the Army Air Force Band and in a few jazz bands pre-and-post WWII. He died in 1997, and I have had the horn since. I had it cleaned and tweaked at a music repair shop years ago. Now it sits on a stand in my home office / trombone room as a fond memory of him. I want to know if the horn should be looked over by a brassiere (craftsman who repairs brass instruments)? Keep in mind the trumpet has not been used. Your thoughts?
BGuttman

Re: Dad's Olds Super trumpet

Post by BGuttman »

Do the valves move freely? If not, do they work fine with a little valve oil? If the valves are OK you may not need to do anything else. You might also check to see if the tuning slides move (there are 4). If they are stuck you may need the tender ministrations of a Tech.

Then again, if all you want to do is look at the thing, you could probably just leave it alone.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TriJim

Re: Dad's Olds Super trumpet***

Post by TriJim »

Similar story - except Dad bought me an Olds Super Trombone when I was entering High School and decided to purchase the Olds Super Trumpet to match. He played the trumpet most every week in a community group or at church and now it sits in my home since his passing in 2010. Right now I'm hoping one of the grandsons will take up trumpet. Thanks for sharing the memories.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Pepperodin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:15 pm Now it sits on a stand in my home office / trombone room as a fond memory of him.
I want to know if the horn should be looked over by a brassiere.
If I had a trumpet that my deceased father had bought at age 14 and played for his entire life, I would respect his memory by keeping it fully maintained, on a stand, as if he were able to walk in the door, pick it up and play it.
I'd consider if he would want to find it shiny like new, or in its work clothes, with every dent and scratch an earned tribute to its owner's musical career. (The horn is 92 years old. A brassiere probably wouldn't help.)
Pepperodin

Post by Pepperodin »

The horn is in great shape. The valves are soft and flexible. The tuning slides are like silk. There are the usual minor scratches, and the mouth piece has a slight bend, casting the horn slightly upward. If he walked into my music room, I am certain he would pick up his Olds Super and launch into a rendition of “Stardust.” Music may be one of the best things we can do with our lives. When I look at my father’s life, this is certainty true. Music brought out the best in him, and I am confident saying that it brought him joy. Music connects us to others. For me, music is a journey into creativity, an intellectual challenge, a pathway to fellowship with other musicians, and a wormhole to a space in history where my father soared with the jazz greats of the 40’s. What a gift, music.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

As far as maintenance, I would just suggest cleaning it out thoroughly by disassembling it and snaking out with mild detergent and warm water, rinsing, and allowing it to dry. Lube up the tuning slides, and move them occasionally.
There is a member here who is also a repairman (Brian Hinkley i.e. Crazy4Tbone86 perhaps?) who recommends either keeping the valves dry, or oiling and working them for a few minutes each day. Maybe he will chime in and clarify...
Pepperodin

Post by Pepperodin »

Thanks to all. I will clean and do those things recommended.

Return to “Maintenance”