Transitioning from Bach to King. Is it me or is it the horn?

How and what to teach and learn.
TheGlisstoryChannel

Transitioning from Bach to King. Is it me or is it the horn?

Post by TheGlisstoryChannel »

Hi All,

Long time reader, new member and first time poster. For years I’ve played on Bach horns, first a 36B and then. 42BO. While in undergrad my professor loaned me his Mt Vernon 16 (or 12? I’m not 100% but I could ask him).

Anyway, I finally got my own small bore horn and ended up with a 3B (H.N. White, 70s, if that matters here.) I do like the 3B, it’s nice, but it’s taking longer than expected for me to adjust to how different it feels compared to the Bachs I’ve played. The slide positions are pretty different it seems, (from partial-to-partial and in general) and it seems to require a lot more precision to slot and play in tune. It feels like there’s a lot more wiggle-room between partials. It’s a humbling experience and I’m wondering if anyone else can comment on this or has any tips. The horn feels good when I am finally locked in but getting there each session has been a bit of a challenge.

I’m at the point where I’m considering trying to find another home for this horn and hounding my professor to sell me that Bach of his. It was really nice, felt great and took little effort to make it sing.

Thanks,
Dylan
Burgerbob

Re: Transitioning from Bach to King. Is it me or is it the horn?

Post by Burgerbob »

Kings have two piece leadpipes that blow much differently than the average one piece leadpipe present in most horns. It does take some adjustment if you're really used to one setup.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I just recently started playing a 3b after decades of Conns. Its a bigger jump from Bach to King than Conn to King. The 3b to me seems brighter, more raw and just a bit more difficult to manage. You have to figure out what the horn wants to do and make peace with it. In the end I think it works out better if you stop trying to make it sound like what you're used to. Realize its going to be brighter with more edgy tendencies. Find the mouthpiece that puts you in the middle. Eventually, if you pay attention, the horn will show you where it wants to go.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Yeah, they're very different.

(I'm sure the leadpipe construction makes some difference, but the main difference there is that the King pipes are waaay tighter. Part of their characteristic response, and it does make them less fussy about mouthpiece choices.)

I think the blow of small Bachs can be superficially quirky in a way that puts people off, but it doesn't take too long to get familiar and then you're set. Conversely, 3Bs seem superficially easy, they make That Sound, but the 6th-10th partial intonation and response inconsistencies might stay annoying forever. But I'm sure there are plenty who would feel the opposite way around.

How/why did you "end up" with the 3B?
TheGlisstoryChannel

Thanks for all the replies so far. It all makes sense. I will stick with it get to know the horn better. I think I could benefit from a mouthpiece change too. I’m using the 6.5AL that I used back in high school and it’s not a great fit for me. I was playing a 4BS on the Bach and it felt really natural. It’s reassuring to hear that Kings tend to be less fussy about mouthpieces. I think I’ll re-acquire a 4BS or something similar and see how it feels. I emailed Doug Elliott recently about a mouthpiece and am waiting to hear back.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

For what it's worth, I used to play a Wick 4BS on my small bores and found that the Doug Elliott LT102E with an E3 or E4 shank works best for me. I play a Bach 36C and a Conn 40H most of the time for small bore.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TheGlisstoryChannel

ithinknot wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:29 am
How/why did you "end up" with the 3B?
I hadn’t had access to a small bore horn for a few years and was looking around for used horns. I don’t find myself playing much music that calls for the larger horns with F -attachments anymore, plus my left shoulder appreciates the lighter weight of a straight horn. The lighter weight has been nice, but I’ve also found that I’m sometimes pressing the gooseneck into the side of my neck while playing, and have to consciously rest the horn back on my trap. I know the Bach slides are wider, so maybe I’m still getting used to that too.

Anyway, I decided to try to 3B out and liked it enough to keep it.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”