Mouthpiece advice needed - Holton Collegiate

dirkurt

Mouthpiece advice needed - Holton Collegiate

Post by dirkurt »

Hi
I recently acquired a Holton Collegiate trombone.
Can someone give me advice about the type of mouthpiece I have to look for?
Thanks!

Kind regards
Kurt
Doug Elliott

Re: Mouthpiece advice needed - Holton Collegiate

Post by Doug Elliott »

What's your background? Did it come with a mouthpiece?

Oh, now I see your other post.
If you remember what you used 20 years ago, you could start with that. Otherwise, something like a 6-1/2AL would be a reasonable and easily available mouthpiece for that horn.

I think there were a few different size Holtons with the "Collegiate" name, so you need to know the shank size (small or large), and hopefully the bore size of the inner slide. Upper and lower tubes may be different sizes.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I had a Collegiate come with a Holton 12C (very similar to a Bach 12C). Never used the thing, and gave it to a friend.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

Never really liked the Holton 12c that came with the collegiate horns…it always felt stuffy…

I definitely second the above advice on something similar to a 6 1/2AL, it really opened the horn up for me. Of course everyone is different, but it’s a good and inexpensive place to start
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Lots of "near-equivalents" available in the 6½ size range. Even the inexpensive ones from eBay are playable, if not ideal.
Last edited by Posaunus on Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I started playing trombone on a Holton Collegiate. It came with a Holton mouthpiece that was shaped (on the outside) like a funnel. I don't remember there being a size on it, but it was very small. I found the horn in a closet at my parents' home many years later. By the way, that horn was finished in satin silver.

JS

plus one for a 6.5AL or something similar.
dirkurt

Post by dirkurt »

Would a 6 1/2 AL be suitable for lead playing? And what stand ‘AL’ for? Thank you for your answers.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Maybe not the best choice for lead playing in a big band (although some do play something like that for lead playing). The AL cup is fairly deep for a small shank mouthpiece, and is a good all-around choice for concert band playing, etc. The C cups are shallower and better suited to that sort of playing overall, so you might like a 7C or 11C (two of the more popular choices in jazz lead playing). There are lots of other choices out there - the Bach mouthpieces are a good reasonably priced option.

JS
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Although the 6-1/2AL is deeper than a 7C or 11C, it is in no way a "deep" mouthpiece.
As for its suitability for lead playing, I have to ask - coming back from 20 years off, are you expecting to be a lead player right away? Get you playing back together and then you'll have some perspective on what you need.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Mouthpieces”